You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-07 01:46:00

daedalus
Website

After update to Xorg7.3, keyboard layouts don't work

Hey all -

After updating to Xorg7.3, keyboard layouts don't work correctly.

I'm a dvorak user, and have it set as such in /etc/rc.conf.  When I start up my machine and enter runlevel 3 (my default), everything works fine.  However, when I startx, it becomes QWERTY.  In GNOME, my layout is clearly set to dvorak, with QWERTY as an alternative.  In fact, if I put the regional/layout keyboard indicator in the menu bar, it even says that it's using dvorak, despite the fact that it is definitely QWERTY.

Re-running Xorg -configure and nvidia-xconfig didn't do anything, so I tried hardcoding my layout in Xorg.conf, which worked - however, now I can't change layouts at all (i.e. I can't use the GNOME keyboard switcher to move back and forth between QWERTY and dvorak like I used to).

I am not running any compositing managers - just Xorg7.3 and the newest nvidia drivers from the repos (100.14.19).

So how do I restore working layouts to Xorg7.3?

Edit: It should be noted that I never had my layout set in xorg.conf.  I had them enabled in GNOME, and it always worked without issue.

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
    Option         "CoreKeyboard"
    Option         "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option         "XkbVariant" "dvorak" # hardcoded layout - shouldn't have to do this. In the past, GNOME can handle it just fine
EndSection

Last edited by daedalus (2007-11-07 01:51:09)

#2 2007-11-07 19:13:19

freakcode
Website

Re: After update to Xorg7.3, keyboard layouts don't work

Yep, the keyboard layout set on rc.conf is one thing (will setup how it works on tty). The keyboard layout set on GNOME is another (you can setup it alone, or make it inherit settings from Xorg).

If everything is correct both on rc.conf and GNOME, then your xorg.conf should be lacking configuration for the keyboard layout.

#3 2007-11-08 15:02:57

saltcube

Re: After update to Xorg7.3, keyboard layouts don't work

well .. as i wrote in http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=39529 there exists a workaround that fixes the layout problem temporarily .. just run setxkbmap without any parameters .. this should fix ur layout for the running session

Board footer