You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-12 08:48:11

s26c.sayan
Website

A Fluxbox menu generation & autoupdate app

Marchfluxmenu is an attempt to have the fluxbox menu emulate the Gnome (or XFCE) menu, in both looks and functionallity.
It first generates a fluxbox menu for the current user from all the valid .desktop files found in /usr/share/applications/ The menu entries are categorized in a similar way as Gnome menu, viz as Accessories, Games, Graphics, Internet, etc etc.
The program then uses a daemon like script (mfmdaemon) to watch for changes in the directory /usr/share/applications/ If a new .desktop file is added/removed (for installation/removal of a package), the fluxbox menu auto-refreshes to reflect the change!
You can also make changes manually to the menu items (NOT the submenu names themselves, yet!). They won't be lost while refreshing the menu.

Please give it a try, and provide feedback.

http://code.google.com/p/marchfluxmenu/

March Linux : An Arch Linux "distrolet" that I am trying to develop (March = My Arch!)
Please take a look......:)

#2 2007-11-13 02:00:54

Anonymo
Website

Re: A Fluxbox menu generation & autoupdate app

I think this is a great idea.  Hoping someone will write a PKGBUILD since I am still learning how to write them.  big_smile

#3 2007-11-14 15:48:45

s26c.sayan
Website

Anonymo wrote:

Hoping someone will write a PKGBUILD since I am still learning how to write them.  big_smile

Same here! tongue
Esp. with this package, it 'installs' the stuff under ~/.marchfluxmenu. In fact, it doesn't require root access at all for installtion. So, I wonder how to make pkg.tar.gz for it!

March Linux : An Arch Linux "distrolet" that I am trying to develop (March = My Arch!)
Please take a look......:)

#4 2007-11-14 19:41:39

oliwer
Website

I'm afraid this is impossible.

The pkgbuild could install stuff in /usr/share/marchfluxmenu and your script would copy the required stuff in ~/.marchfluxmenu.

Board footer