You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-11 21:45:34

raymano
Website

Suspend and USB_PERSIST headaches in 2.6.23

I'm having problems with USB_PERSIST and suspending USB devices in the latest kernel 2.6.23-1.

Particularly let's say I have a mounted read-only USB drive. If I suspend the computer and while suspended remove and reattach the USB drive, and then resume the computer, the device mount is lost and it has to be remounted. I would like the device to stay mounted while the computer is suspended even if it's detached and reattached while the computer is suspended. This was the way it behaved under kernel 2.6.21. Kernel 2.6.22 didn't even have the USB_PERSIST option so I skipped it in FaunOS. And now, USB_PERSIST only works if you leave the device attached to the computer while the computer is suspended.

Note that the key here is that the USB device is read-only and it can't be changed when it's detached from the suspended computer.

I'm starting to think that I have to back port the USB kernel subsystem in 2.6.23 to 2.6.21 and I'm trying to avoid that if I can.

Any help, hacks, patches, ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Raymano

Last edited by raymano (2007-11-11 21:47:56)

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

#2 2007-11-12 13:22:33

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Suspend and USB_PERSIST headaches in 2.6.23

Are you talking about removing faunos drive? is that wise? [or am I barking up the wrong tree!]

Mr Green

#3 2007-11-12 14:12:46

raymano
Website

Re: Suspend and USB_PERSIST headaches in 2.6.23

Yes. I am talking about removing the FaunOS drive. We can do this in the current version of FaunOS.

In the current version of FaunOS, 42 (0.3.2) you can:

- boot up one machine (laptop in my case) with FaunOS on a USB key drive and start working.
- suspend the machine.
- detach the FaunOS drive while the machine is suspended.
- attach the same FaunOS drive to another machine and boot it up and start work on it.
- suspend the second machine.
- take the FaunOS drive to the first machine.
- resume and continue work exactly as you left it before suspending.
- suspend and repeat wink

In my opinion this is not only wise but also important. Keep in mind all changes are happening in RAM and persist through a suspend/resume cycle. FaunOS does not write anything back to the USB key during operation accept at shutdown/reboot when and if the user tells it to save the session changes back to the drive.

Let's say you are a road warrior and using a USB stick to run FaunOS on your laptop. Your plane is now boarding. You can either:
1) Shutdown and reboot it later. As fast as it is, still takes 30 seconds to a minute or so depending on your machine.
or
2) Suspend the laptop. Pull the USB stick out and put it in your pocket. Once you can reuse your laptop, stick in the USB stick and resume within a second or two and continue your work.

I know I like the second choice a lot better. I personally use it all the time and want to keep using it in the next release of FaunOS. I especially like it when the songs I'm listening to in amarok start playing immediately after resuming, where they where before I suspended. I know. I'm a geek. smile

Raymano

Last edited by raymano (2007-11-12 14:27:35)

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

Board footer