You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-12 10:29:34

nornn

csup is not a substitute for cvsup

Hi.

I had set up a abs mirror server for my home lan.  My setup uses cvsup in cvs mode to mirror the abs repositories under /usr/local/etc/cvsup and I can then configure my other archlinux boxes to abs from the abs mirror server.  However, I recently pacman -Syu on my abs mirror server and saw that cvsup has been depreciated for csup.  I refused to switch out cvsup for csup and will continue to use cvsup. My question is though csup is easier will cvsup packages still be available in the future?  And if not how will cvs.archlinux.org be able to allow csup connections since csup does not provide for cvs mode.  csup as of now is only capable of checkout mode and therefore to continue abs (an integral part of archlinux) a cvsup server has to be running, so if cvs.archlinux.org has to continue supporting cvsup would they not be able to create cvsup packages and add them to the extra repository.

Thank you, thank you very much.
Elvis has left the building.

thank you thank you very much.

#2 2007-11-12 10:45:10

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: csup is not a substitute for cvsup

I think I am missing you concern...  I upgraded to csup and can still use abs fine.  Non-developers only need to be able to access cvs.archlinux.org in checkout mode.  Of course developers have upload access.

#3 2007-11-12 11:03:04

nornn

I understand what you are saying concerning non-developers.  Developers have cvs write access to the archlinux repositories.  My point is I like being able to mirror the abs setup on one of my servers thus I can abs from one server on the local lan.  It also benefits cvs.archlinux.org by distributing the load from their cvsup server.  Or maybe just having the freedom or option to mirror the cvs repos on your lan similar to those who want to mirror the package repositories for pacman.

#4 2007-11-12 11:09:45

tomk
Forum Fellow

The cvsup PKGBUILD is still available in our CVS, so you could adopt it yourself and maintain it in the AUR. If that is not sufficient, please post a feature request in the bugtracker with your requirements.

#5 2007-11-12 11:20:22

nornn

Will cvsup be maintained in the archlinux cvs repositories?  I would certainly try to maintain it in AUR, but unfortunately I am not proficient enough in c programming to patch cvsup.

#6 2007-11-12 12:14:43

tomk
Forum Fellow

No, it has been removed from the official repos. The patch required for the current version is also still in CVS - for future versions, you would need to search for a suitable patch if it's still required.

#7 2007-11-12 18:50:27

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

nornn wrote:

Will cvsup be maintained in the archlinux cvs repositories?  I would certainly try to maintain it in AUR, but unfortunately I am not proficient enough in c programming to patch cvsup.

Heh, funny you say that. One of the big reasons we had to drop it was because cvsup isn't written in C. It's written in modula3 or whatever, for which there isn't a cross platform compiler.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#8 2007-11-13 13:55:08

nornn

You are right it is written in modula or cm3.  Which of course makes it much more difficult to maintain than csup, but cvsup has been the norm and maintained since I began using archlinux.  I would not mind trying to maintain it in aur as mentioned earlier, but what I meant to say was I am not proficient in modula to patch cvsup.

Board footer