You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-12 07:13:41

serrano

Is xf86-video-intel really operational?

I start asking myself if switching from xf86-video-i810 to xf86-video-intel was not a premature step.
My switch has been motivated by using a monitor with a weird resolution that cannot be used without
a custom modeline. The xf86-video-intel succeeds at solving this problem but actually fails for many
other things:

1- traditional xorg.conf configuration no longer works. The new framework based on xrandr is
     probably superior to the traditional xorg.conf setting but it is really annoying to waste half
     a day for customizing X, yet another time.
2- hibernate no longer works (see my previous mail).
3- compiz/beryl/emerald fail (may be this is not due to xf86-video-intel. With compiz, it's hard to know).
4- xine and mplayer can not longer be used with the xv output driver (this problem has been reported
     so many times in various forums that I don't think it is useful to provide another bug report here, and
     for those that might be interested: no "option CacheLines XXX" does not work).
5- vlc and realplay no longer work (because it is not possible to select the output video driver of
     these softwares).

I would love to understand what is the development status of xf86-video-intel. I would also love
to hear experts opinion: is it time to switch from i810 to intel driver?

Thanks for in advance for any comment, remark, or advice.

--
Manuel

#2 2007-11-12 07:57:28

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Is xf86-video-intel really operational?

I'm I have suspend (to RAM) working with the following /etc/pm/sleep.d/00hacks contents:

#!/bin/bash
case $1 in
    suspend)
        chvt 1
        #vbetool vbemode get > /tmp/vbemode
        vbetool vbestate save > /tmp/vbestate
        modprobe -r aes2501
        ;;
    resume)
        vbetool post
        #vbetool vbemode set < /tmp/vbemode
        vbetool vbestate restore < /tmp/vbevbestate
        chvt 7
        modprobe -v aes2501
        ;;
esac

Resuming is still quite quirky - if I unplug my USB mouse before suspending or resuming the resume process irrevocably locks up sad. With the USB mouse plugged in it works fine though.

I'm using xf86-video-intel (with xorg-server 1.3 from testing before - this is the only driver that supports the GMA965 X3100 GPU). Other than the resume quirks, no problems here.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2007-11-12 10:28:16

Allan
Pacman
Website

serrano wrote:

5- vlc and realplay no longer work (because it is not possible to select the output video driver of
     these softwares).

VLC: Settings > Preferences > Video > Output Modules and click "Advanced Options" in lower right corner.

Also, I can't use xv driver with xf86-video-i810.

I had to add "highres=off nohz=off" to grub to get the screen returning with hibernate.  I actually no longer need the vbetool hacks.

Last edited by Allan (2007-11-12 10:29:10)

#4 2007-11-12 13:09:00

Forum Fellow
Website

I am gonna try that too. I only end up putting more and more in that hacks file but the successful resumes get only rarer.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2007-11-12 14:30:08

phildg

I've switched to xf86-video-intel because since the xorg update Fn-F8 (CRT/LCD switch) stopped working and I couldn't switch outputs with xrandr with xf86-video-i810. Using xv with mplayer works. CacheLines also works over here.

Using Intel 82852/855GM integrated graphics. My x configuration needed no alteration other than changing 'Driver "i810"' to 'Driver "intel"'

#6 2007-11-12 14:36:36

raymano
Website

B wrote:

I am gonna try that too. I only end up putting more and more in that hacks file but the successful resumes get only rarer.

B this is an issue with the new 2.6.23-1 kernel and how it treats suspended devices. Suspend/resume has become really crappy after 2.6.21. I'm trying to find a patch or any way to fix it. Checkout this thread:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=298477

Last edited by raymano (2007-11-12 14:44:52)

FaunOS: Live USB/DVD Linux Distro: http://www.faunos.com

#7 2007-11-12 15:37:14

jinn

I have no problem with it.. suspend works, anything else works.. Only sometimes when shutting down the computer (when running compiz-fusion) X froze. I blame compiz for that, since It never happened before or after compiz.

My laptop: Hp dv2000.

The ultimate Archlinux release name: "I am your father"

#8 2007-11-13 04:01:39

Forum Fellow
Website

Raymano: I had bad experiences with 2.6.23.1 alltogether (system locking up on closing the laptop lid and so on). I rolled back to 2.6.22.12...

Disabling high resolution timers and tickless (I suppose that's what nohz is) certainly helps here. I still need the vbetool hack though.

Last edited by B (2007-11-13 04:02:31)

#9 2007-11-13 07:12:59

serrano

Thanks for all your comments and remarks. Reading your mails I have
been able to improve the behavior of my laptop.

First the hibernation problem:

Some of you suggested to play with vbetool. In particular one post mentioned:

> I'm I have suspend (to RAM) working with the following
> /etc/pm/sleep.d/00hacks contents:

#!/bin/bash
case $1 in
    suspend)
        chvt 1
        #vbetool vbemode get > /tmp/vbemode
        vbetool vbestate save > /tmp/vbestate
        modprobe -r aes2501
        ;;
    resume)
        vbetool post
        #vbetool vbemode set < /tmp/vbemode
        vbetool vbestate restore < /tmp/vbevbestate
        chvt 7
        modprobe -v aes2501
        ;;
esac

Surprisingly enough. It was just the opposite option that fixes my
problem!  That is, commenting out the VBE section of my
/etc/hibernate/common.conf file did it. That is, after commenting the
following lines,

### vbetool
#EnableVbetool yes
#RestoreVbeStateFrom /var/lib/vbetool/vbestate
#VbetoolPost yes
#RestoreVCSAData yes

hibernation works again as it used to. Suspend to disk and suspend to
ram are both operational (with a vanilla kernel 2.6.23.1).

Second problem:

VLC and REALPLAY no longer work. One post gave the solution of using a
different video driver with VLC. Thanks for pointing out the solution but
unfortunately, that's just a workaround. First, there is still a problem
with REALPLAY and second, I think that the error message prompted by Mplayer
and others:

X11 error: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)

is the evidence that there is something wrong with the new Xorg server
or with the xf86-video-intel driver.

--
Manuel

#10 2007-11-13 07:40:21

Allan
Pacman
Website

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "intel"
    Option "LinearAlloc" "8160" #<-- Add this option
EndSection

Someone else where on the forums (IceHand?) suggested I add this line to my xorg.conf to help with the BadAlloc.  Might work for you...

#11 2007-11-13 07:48:10

Forum Fellow
Website

Serrano, two observations:
- you say you have /etc/hibernate blabla. The 00hacks file is used by pm-utils, which does not have any /etc/hibernate stuff. I suppose you are using another suspend implementation;
- i'd take out the aes2501 line, after all this is a driver specific to my setup.

I pasted that file for reference, not for verbatim copying wink.

#12 2007-11-13 08:29:20

sH

I would be interested in how to get compiz going with this driver. I followed all steps from the wiki and still get the message that I am missing the GLX extension. Ubuntu Gutsy is using the experimental "intel" driver too but there I had compiz going with the same hardware.

#13 2007-11-13 10:03:22

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Got libgl-dri installed? Is the glx extension loaded in xorg.conf?

#14 2007-11-14 14:58:18

serrano

B wrote:

Serrano, two observations:
- you say you have /etc/hibernate blabla. The 00hacks file is used by pm-utils, which does not have any /etc/hibernate stuff. I suppose you are using another suspend implementation;
- i'd take out the aes2501 line, after all this is a driver specific to my setup.

I pasted that file for reference, not for verbatim copying wink.

Yes. Sure. Sorry about my confusion post. I'm using the hibernation provided by vanilla Linux kernel 2.6.23.1
and the hibernate-script package. Since you have mentioned vbetool I have played with the vbe settings
of hibernate-script. With your post you have shown me the good direction even though the solution to
fix my problem was opposite to yours ;-) Anyhow, thanks again.

--
Manuel

#15 2007-11-16 07:51:52

brain0
Developer

Maybe a little late, but I'll summarize my experience with this driver:

serrano wrote:

1- traditional xorg.conf configuration no longer works. The new framework based on xrandr is
     probably superior to the traditional xorg.conf setting but it is really annoying to waste half
     a day for customizing X, yet another time.

I didn't even notice that. It automatically chooses the best resolution for my laptop. When I use an external monitor, I set it up via xrandr anyway.

2- hibernate no longer works (see my previous mail).

What can I say, always worked, still works (I used -intel from the beginning).

3- compiz/beryl/emerald fail (may be this is not due to xf86-video-intel. With compiz, it's hard to know).

beryl worked and compiz-fusion now works as well. I never had any trouble, what does yours say, why is it failing?

4- xine and mplayer can not longer be used with the xv output driver (this problem has been reported
     so many times in various forums that I don't think it is useful to provide another bug report here, and
     for those that might be interested: no "option CacheLines XXX" does not work).
     these softwares).

That is very weird. With beryl, the Xv output driver didn't work at all. But since I switched to compiz and compiz-fusion, Xv works again and does so very well.

Summary: I never used -i810 (tried once), instead I started with -intel when I got this machine. I never had trouble. To answer your question, yes the driver is really operational, at least to my experience.

Board footer