You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-15 22:18:36

Cyrusm

pcidata missing

So I'm in the middle of installing Arch right now  (it took a couple of tries to get things up and running, mostly because I lack sufficient networking knowledge...as an aside I found out that I have dchp, that only took me 2 hours to figure out!:P )  anyhow. I can't start X because aparently xinit can't find my pcidata.  otherwise everything is working as smooth as silk (I'm genuinely suprised!  pacman rocks my socks off.  I think I'm really going to like Arch!)  so.... let's cut to the proverbial chase as it were.   what's going on with my pci data and how can I fix it.  It might be my hardware.... I'm running an nVIDIA GeForce 6100SM-M motherboard and chipset, and I know that nvidia tends to have issues with proprietary drivers and what not.  anyways,

cheers

Cyrus

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#2 2007-11-16 01:45:27

peets
Website

Re: pcidata missing

I never got an error message like that, but make sure you've checked these things:

The nvidia page on the wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA
Did you set up an /etc/xorg.conf file? I think you can do that with "X -configure" or a similar command.

Good luck!

#3 2007-11-16 14:33:46

gdv
Website

Check Your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, for ModulePath. This must point to directory, where xorg modules live. For me it is /usr/lib/xorg/modules.
Module file name for pcidata is libpcidata.so

#4 2007-11-16 15:09:20

brebs

pacman -S pciutils
/usr/sbin/update-pciids

Which updates /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids

#5 2007-11-16 15:46:35

r4ndom

i had the exact same problem as you its because xorg.conf does not exist as far as I can see you need to use the other auto configuration tool(not hwdetect) which I forget the name of but its in the wiki then it will run ok.

#6 2007-11-16 21:07:23

Cyrusm

Thanks for all of the help on that one, I tried all of your advice sytematically and it turns out that r4ndom was right about the hwdetect.  I ran the manual configuration (had to do some research)  but got x to function.  now on to roadblock 3 how to get gnome to work......

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Board footer