You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-15 16:14:49

kamagurka
Website

Seeking fullscreen, lirc-capable file browser

Being the couch potato that I am, I want to be able to choose what videos to watch with my remote, without getting up. All I really need for this is a very simple filebrowser that will respond to lirc, display everything nice and big and launch mplayer.
All programs that I have seen that do this, such as mms or Elisa claim to do much more, in other words, stuff I don't need. I can't imagine there isn't something so simple as what I'm suggesting, but I haven't been able to find anything.
Maybe my Google-fu is weak, and I just missed it.

I always roll 20s on my disbelieve checks.
You better believe it.

#2 2007-11-15 17:01:45

Milfadoodle

Re: Seeking fullscreen, lirc-capable file browser

If you don't find a clean file manager I can at least recommend a look at freevo. Just remove the plugins you don't need.

#3 2007-11-15 18:42:19

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

You might want to upgrade from the "big filemanager to launch mplayer" and try out some of the stuff like mythtv or freevo

#4 2007-11-15 22:27:15

azleifel

Why not try a wireless mouse and either nautilus zoomed to 200% or konqueror with icon size set to huge?  Works here big_smile

#5 2007-11-16 15:19:20

kamagurka
Website

Man, I've been playing with freevo for a couple of hours and it's pissing me off to no end. The menu and all that are fine, but for some reason it launches mplayer with a completely different conf. My mplayer is already completely set up to my liking, but when I launch it with freevo audio, lirc and half my keyboard controls don't work anymore. Good show!

You better believe it.

#6 2007-11-16 15:23:25

kamagurka
Website

azleifel wrote:

Why not try a wireless mouse and either nautilus zoomed to 200% or konqueror with icon size set to huge?  Works here big_smile

Well, I can't read the filenames anymore when I just embiggen the icons, which kinda kills it. Also, I already have five remotes near my couch, I was not looking to add another device.
Btw, I thought I had it worked out a while ago by launching mc in a terminal with a huge font and controlling that via irxevent, but for some reason mplayer takes a huge performance hit when I launch it this way. Maybe that can be fixed?

You better believe it.

#7 2007-11-16 17:30:53

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

kamagurka wrote:

when I just embiggen the icons

Ha ha! Cromulent!

More to the point, a quick google looks like freevo supports /etc/freevo/mplayer.conf, so maybe try copying yours there?

#8 2007-11-16 23:12:39

kamagurka
Website

phrakture wrote:

More to the point, a quick google looks like freevo supports /etc/freevo/mplayer.conf, so maybe try copying yours there?

That certainly fixed the keyboard problem, the sound I have fixed in the freevo.conf, but seriously, why oh why does freevo insist on intercepting (i.e. disabling) lirc? I have it set up exactly as I like it, but instead of just shutting up and sitting down once it's launched mplayer freevo insists on giving commands from lirc to mplayer via pylirc (which I don't seem to have, and I can't find in AUR and I'd have to configure all over again anyway). I think I'll post this issue to the freevo forums or mailing list, maybe there's a workaround or simple option.
If there isn't, I suggest they implement a SHUTUPANDSITDOWN variable in the conf next version.

You better believe it.

#9 2007-11-17 00:01:17

Milfadoodle

http://wonkabar.org/archives/305

There's someone with the same problem as you regarding freevo hijacking lirc completely. He lists some workarounds but not any good ones according to him.

Board footer