You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-12 06:06:06

allbanddxer

zynaddsubfx only playing default sound

Hello,
I am having trouble with Zynaddsubfx on 2007.08-2 x86_64.  I have added my self to the audio group, setup ALSA and have my sound system running perfectly... I installed Qjackctl and tested it, it seems to work fine with ALSA, I connect my m-audio keyboard to zynaddsubfx and then zynaddsubfx to alsa_pcm output. keyboard works fine, I get the default tone but when I try to select a different interment from the banks it only plays the default tone. The text box showing the current instrument is showing my selection but I am not getting the proper instrument sound. I played around with the settings, and restarted as required but nothing changed. So then I started it in gnome-terminal to see if it had any errors... to my surprise it kept spitting this out:

mxml: Missing close tag </ZynAddSubFX-data> under parent <!DOCTYPE ZynAddSubFX-data>!
mxml: Missing close tag </!DOCTYPE ZynAddSubFX-data> under parent <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>! 

So I ran a quick Google search and found a few references on a Debian bug tracker: http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-qa-p … 19923.html of a simular problem... I did not find a solution or any help on the site for Zynaddsubfx... So I am asking for help here.
Did i miss something? Is this a bug?

Not sure if this is related but I also get this "cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)" when i start Zyn in the terminal.

I am new to arch but I'm loving it so far, I have tried so many distros in the last few years...  ArchLinux is what I have been what I have been looking for!  big_smile

#2 2007-11-18 03:12:48

allbanddxer

Re: zynaddsubfx only playing default sound

OK, i have a bit of an update...
Zynaddsubfx wont open the bank files to edit. Yet i can make my own new bank files with the editor.  Any ideas anyone?

#3 2007-11-18 22:46:10

dunc

It could be a problem with the x86_64 package, because it works fine here on i686.

But my real point is that "cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)" isn't anything to worry about. (Unless you know you're running a realtime kernel and it should be able to, of course.) There's a chance you'll get choppy sound under heavy processor load, but you obviously have a reasonably powerful machine, so that shouldn't be much of a worry.

0 Ok, 0:1

#4 2007-11-19 01:04:01

allbanddxer

Well I was able to get qsynth to work with jack. And you are right the memory lock down problem is not really effecting my setup at all. I am not doing anything professional here...  and I did not setup a kernel for realtime. Thanks

#5 2007-11-20 20:52:40

ArchHK

allbanddxer wrote:

Hello,
I am having trouble with Zynaddsubfx on 2007.08-2 x86_64.  I have added my self ...

It's mxml related problem. It works just fine with mxml 2.2.2 version. Build and install  mxml 2.2.2 and rebuild with it zynaddsubfx.
PKGBUILD of mxml 2.2.2:

pkgname=mxml
pkgver=2.2.2
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A small XML parsing library "
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://www.easysw.com/~mike/mxml/index.php"
license=('LGPL')
depends=('glibc')
source=(http://ftp.easysw.com/pub/mxml/$pkgver/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr
  make || return 1
  make DSTROOT=$startdir/pkg install
}

#6 2007-11-20 21:42:41

allbanddxer

THANKS!  smile  That was the type of answer I was hoping for... One with a solution

Board footer