You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-20 17:42:12

ramoneur

new to c++, need some short guidance

hey everyone smile
im currently reading c++ at school and its going pretty well, practically just started a few weeks ago, but i like it so far smile
problem is that we are using windows computers @ school (sigh... sad ) to program. and so i dont know anything about programming in linux, is there any good guide to read? (that is easy read, and not like a million pages with extremely difficult english...)

i have already found a nice app to program in called geany smile and it can compile, build and execute my programs directly (dont have to go into the terminal everytime, which is nice) and its also very light and fast.

im also interested to know how dependencies work (libs and stuff like that), i havent even got the hang of it in windows, but im guessing its different in linux. im asking cause im going to program in linux in the future, and my teacher dont know anything about linux, so no help there...

hehe sorry for my english, im quiet tired and think i got alot of grammar wrong haha, anyway i hope you understand me smile

A w e s o m e
r
c
h

#2 2007-11-20 18:40:48

Nihathrael
Website

Re: new to c++, need some short guidance

The basics are all the same under Linux, but of course there are differences, especially in c++, which is not platform portable. Sockets work differently in linux then in windows (socket.h compared to winsock.h) . Also it is important to watch out for filenames, because they are case sensitve, but you probably know that hehe.

As far as sockets are concerned:
http://beej.us/guide/bgnet/

It'S a really great read, even for those allready active in programming, as it's pretty detailed, yet easy to understand.

Unknown Horizons - Open source real-time strategy game with the comfy Anno 1602 feeling!

#3 2007-11-21 00:35:03

Allan
Pacman
Website

As Nihathreal said, the basics are the same in windows and linux.  In fact, I'd go as far as saying that everything you learn in school should work on both windows and linux.  However, as pointed out, there are some platform specific differences - they should be fairly obvious though (winsock.h ...).  Also GUI programming is very different unless you stick to a cross-platform toolkit (GTK, Qt).

One thing you might want to look out for is differences between compilers.  MS VC++ is popular in windows and will compile somethings that fail in gcc and vise versa.  If you follow C++ coding standards that should be limited anyway.

Anyway, any specific questions just fire away!

#4 2007-11-21 06:08:56

ramoneur

alright guys, thanks smile if there ever comes any more questions (believe me it will) ill be sure to ask!

A w e s o m e
r
c
h

Board footer