You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-21 15:13:13

Ashren
Website

DWM questions

I have been using DWM the last couple of days and I really like it, I have some questions I can't find the answers for, perhaps some resident dwm buffs can help me out. So here goes:

1. How do designate console based apps like nano and vi to specific workspaces. I have already done this with firefox, leafpad etc. but it doesn't seem to work with console based apps (probably because they reside in the console).

2. How do I make my urxvt terminal(s) fill the entire screen below the statusbar, even when tiling there are still gaps along the edges of the screen.

3. How do I get fibonacci to work with DWM 4.6. The patch applies correctly and I have included the configuration from suckless in the config.h, but fibonacci.h can't be found during compilation. (I have searched the mailing lists, but can't find (decipher) the correct solution.)

Thanks,
Ashren

#2 2007-11-21 15:41:45

dolby

Re: DWM questions

1. u cant. u would have to do this for your terminal.eg. start xterm always in tag 2
2. u cant. check the mailing list for november posts about resizehints. theres a patch thats supposed to fix that. its not dwms fault though, its the apps that behave that way
3.u need to define it in config.h but not sure how it works. havent applied any patches to vanilla dwm for half a year. searching the mailing list would help to that too

Last edited by dolby (2007-11-21 15:43:16)

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2007-11-21 15:48:44

Ashren
Website

Thanks for clearing up the two first questions. I'll trawl through the mailing-lists some more for the third.

#4 2007-11-21 17:08:58

shining
Pacman Developer

Ashren wrote:

I have been using DWM the last couple of days and I really like it, I have some questions I can't find the answers for, perhaps some resident dwm buffs can help me out. So here goes:

1. How do designate console based apps like nano and vi to specific workspaces. I have already done this with firefox, leafpad etc. but it doesn't seem to work with console based apps (probably because they reside in the console).

If you start the application like this for example : "xterm -e vi"
then the title should be set to vi, and you should be able to match this in the tags rules.
You can also try "xterm -title <title>" for specifying a different title.

You can replace xterm by whatever term you are using of course.

2. How do I make my urxvt terminal(s) fill the entire screen below the statusbar, even when tiling there are still gaps along the edges of the screen.

You will be able to do it in 4.7 again (which should be released very soon), but it's not a good idea.
See :
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.wind … focus=3873
or
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.wind … focus=3893

3. How do I get fibonacci to work with DWM 4.6. The patch applies correctly and I have included the configuration from suckless in the config.h, but fibonacci.h can't be found during compilation. (I have searched the mailing lists, but can't find (decipher) the correct solution.)

Hmm yes, apparently the config.h example on the fibonacci page is outdated.
But the patch itself updates the config.def.h file.
So either use config.def.h as a base, or look at how the patch changes this file, or just diff config.h config.def.h .

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#5 2007-11-21 19:50:34

bender02

shining wrote:

If you start the application like this for example : "xterm -e vi"
then the title should be set to vi, and you should be able to match this in the tags rules.
You can also try "xterm -title <title>" for specifying a different title.

I thought that dwm matches on class attribute and not on title... but I might be wrong, haven't actually tried dwm to match titles, since I'm not using it any more.

Last edited by bender02 (2007-11-21 19:50:57)

#6 2007-11-21 20:46:25

shining
Pacman Developer

bender02 wrote:

I thought that dwm matches on class attribute and not on title... but I might be wrong, haven't actually tried dwm to match titles, since I'm not using it any more.

xprop on this terminal gives the following :
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xterm", "XTerm"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "vi"

And dwm matches against "XTerm:xterm:vi"

I checked with ff window, and things seem to coincide.

Edit : 4.7 is out now : http://www.suckless.org/pipermail/dwm/2 … 04327.html

Last edited by shining (2007-11-21 21:18:48)

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#7 2007-11-21 21:46:11

rson451
Website

doh, i never upgraded to 4.6... i'll get on that tonight i suppose.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#8 2007-11-22 10:38:08

Ashren
Website

Thanks guys. I succeded in sending vi and nano to separate workspaces.

I'll look into the config.def.h file.

Board footer