You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-23 18:31:42

baude

display bug with new catalyst driver & xorg

Hello everyone,

I have just updated catalyst (fglrx) from fglrx 8.40.4 to catalyst 7.11-1 and Xorg server from 1.2.0-5 to 1.4-5. Indeed I have an ATi Radeon Xpress 1100 (RS485) on my laptop.
Everything is well except...this bad bug :

almost each time a window is created (xterm, dialog box which pops up, firefox ...; there are maybe other trigger events) a strange blurred square appears at the bottom right corner of my screen, and my cursor has a strange trail, as if a piece of widget was attached to it. The cursor trail disappears quickly, but not the square. I have to switch in console mode and to go back to X to make it clear. It is composed of pixels of different colors.
Does someone have the same problem ?

Moreover the driver gl (or gl2) does no more work with mplayer, I have to use the x11 one, but glxgears is ok and I have, according to glxinfo, direct rendering enabled.

#2 2007-11-23 18:42:02

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: display bug with new catalyst driver & xorg

There are many problems with the latest AMD xorg driver.  To fix the display corruption, add

Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"

To your fglrx device section in xorg.conf

Also, try disabling AIGLX - it's not working well and is known to cause some problems.

In xorg.conf:

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

#3 2007-11-23 19:35:48

baude

Thank you for your answer !

I have modified my xorg.conf like you said. I hope this will solve the display corruption problem. For the moment it is fine.
May the next drivers be correct...

#4 2007-11-23 19:37:55

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

yeah, the last three versions, which are built of an entirely new codebase, have had some pretty big issues.  We'd still be using fglrx 8.40.4 if it supported xorg-server 1.4, but we were forced to upgrade since it wouldn't work.

Hopefully catalyst 7-12 will be better.

Board footer