You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-22 22:31:02

thayer
Fellow
Website

Can Sonata play SHOUTCAST streams or any other online streams?

I've given up on using Audacious for the time being which has led me to look at other lightweight media players.  I really like Sonata+MPD, but I miss listening to my regular music feeds from Shoutcast.  Is it possible to use the Streams tab to listen to these stations? If not, what exactly is that tab for?  I've read through the Sonata website and googled a bit, but I don't see any clear explanations.

Last edited by thayer (2007-11-22 22:31:42)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#2 2007-11-22 23:09:06

smurnjiff

Re: Can Sonata play SHOUTCAST streams or any other online streams?

Well, you can add streams to Sonata from Shoutcast and play them.

Right click in the empty space underneath the Streams tab and click Add.    When you double click on the added stream, it is added to your playlist.

#3 2007-11-22 23:17:27

thayer
Fellow
Website

Hrmm, that's what I tried initially and it didn't work for me, but I just did it again with a different channel and it works fine.  Thanks!

#4 2007-11-22 23:18:24

MrWeatherbee

Yes.

Works fine for me with Sonata and gMPC. You might want to try gMPC as well if you are looking for a light client / player. Sonata uses ~24 MB of RAM here, while gMPC uses only ~11 Mb (with 4 or 5 plug-ins installed). The difference is that Sonata requires python to start-up. Both are nice otherwise.

#5 2007-11-23 22:18:04

Hrisebro

Is it posible to use sonata on one computer, but have the MPD on another computer?

Im from the cold contry of Norway O.o

#6 2007-11-23 22:22:59

thayer
Fellow
Website

Hrisebro wrote:

Is it posible to use sonata on one computer, but have the MPD on another computer?

Definitely, I believe that's why MPD exists--to feed several workstations with the same music.

Just edit the default profile in the Sonata prefs (or create a new one) with the relevant network information.  You might also need to tweak the mpd.conf on the server to make sure it'll accept external connections and possibly modify your hosts.allow in /etc.  I've never used this feature myself, but so far I'm very impressed Sonata.

#7 2007-11-24 12:23:33

Hrisebro

thayer wrote:

Definitely, I believe that's why MPD exists--to feed several workstations with the same music.

Just edit the default profile in the Sonata prefs (or create a new one) with the relevant network information.  You might also need to tweak the mpd.conf on the server to make sure it'll accept external connections and possibly modify your hosts.allow in /etc.  I've never used this feature myself, but so far I'm very impressed Sonata.

Thanks. I wil cheack it out.

Im from the cold contry of Norway O.o

#8 2007-11-26 12:36:28

sm4tik
Website

About playlists. You can make scripts to automatically load a .pls or .m3u to mpd, no matter what UI you're using. I remember I had to do some changes for that m3u-handler, but I'm not home at the moment so can't confirm. Here's a link to a page in mpd wiki with the sample scripts.
Actually if you're running mpd on another computer, you can use sonata (or other UI's) as a remote control for the "server" and it's quite handy if you have a media center type of a solution. I had my computers set up like that for a while, but at the moment I'm only mounting an nfs partition using it as a music database for my other computer. This way it's the same as using it like any other folder as your "music" folder.
I'll post more details when I get home.

EDIT:

The m3u-handler.sh script didn't work as it is in the wiki, but adding quotes to $1 seemed to solve it for me, so
cat "$1" instead of just cat $1
To make your mpc client (sonata etc.) work as a remote for your mpd server, simply replacing localhost in the config with your mpd's ip should do it (Can't test it at the moment, but it should work). Also make sure you set up mpd's permissions correctly. The defaults should be fine if it's just for home use. Also, if you're using a firewall with the computer you're running mpd on, open port 6600 (default) for the ip's you'd like to have control over mpd.

From what I have understood, if you want mpd to act as a server only (no physical audio output), the audio output must be played "over a network stream using icecast2" to hear it on other computers. Not 100% sure about that one thou..

Last edited by sm4tik (2007-11-26 14:35:43)

Board footer