You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-26 03:26:16

jacko

network problems : HELP

Recently I have been experiencing some internet issues. Seems that all of a sudden I am getting huge amounts of packet lose when I try to ping a site like www.google.com. Also, speedtest through my ISP also fail to yield anything near where my speed should be, but the odd thing, when using puppy linux the network seems to work a little bit better. But, its still not 100% which makes me think my ISP has a hardware problem.

Is there anyway that I can run some test through linux to see if everything is configured properly and I also am gonna need to be able to retrieve all the settings that DHCP has assigned. So I can give this information to my ISP when I call them in the morning.

I need to know:

mac address of the modem
IP address it was assigned
anything else an ISP is gonna need to debug my problem.

First time trouble shooting this in linux and I am not real sure how my ISP is gonna take the news when I tell them I am using linux as an OS. Far as I know they do not support it. sad I can only imagine how someone else is gonna feel tomorrow if they tell me they can't help me out with customer support.

#2 2007-11-26 22:16:05

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: network problems : HELP

What kind of modem do you have from your isp ?

DHCP is a standard that doesn't depend on the OS type.

Most of the data (except DNS values) provided in windows by ipconfig is available from ifconfig in linux.
For dns values check /etc/resolv.conf

In windows tracert is used, linux uses traceroute

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2007-11-26 22:20:23)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2007-11-27 06:16:38

jacko

Re: network problems : HELP

thanks for the help, I got all the info I needed and it turned out traceroute showed a problem and I was transfered to upper network techs who then typed something and replied with a "We will be sending a tech out to your house, how is first thing tomorrow morning!"

Board footer