You are not logged in.

#1 2007-08-13 05:24:37

jae1227

Jacman freezes alot

It will load up fine and allows me to pick packages. When I hit the install button the console window comes up. This is where the problem occurs. The console window comes up and does not allow me to click "Done", "Yes" or "No". I can not even close the program. I think this is a problem that everyone is having with jacman. I read somewhere that the problems stared to occur when the jre was updated. Any solutions? Below is a picture of my problem.
screenshotep3.png

#2 2007-08-13 06:32:34

scarecrow

Re: Jacman freezes alot

Jacman shouldn't be used with the new pacman, and won't be upgraded until pacman 3 reaches some sort of stability.

Microshaft delenda est

#3 2007-08-13 12:35:12

arooaroo
Website

Er, that's not quite true.

Scrarecrow is right in that currently Jacman isn't communicating properly with the latest pacman. However, I will be releasing an update any day now. I'm in the middle of an AL reinstall and just need to get back up and running and then I'll fix the bug.

In the longer term, I'd like to take advantage of the official pacman libs to do all the pacman tasks rather than playing with consoles. However, the API has not been deemed stable (as in the interfaces may change) so I'm not going to start working with it until stability has been declared.

#4 2007-10-20 16:12:17

speakeasy

I'm getting similar problems, and as the last post on this topic was the 18th Aug, I wonder if there are still some bugs.

If I open Jacman, and select a single package to install, there are no problems. I click on install, then another window named "Installing" opens, and shows console output. After a bit of output the "Yes", and "No" buttons light up, and the package installs ok.

If though I select multiple packages to install, the "Installing" window opens, and after some console output, I get a red line of text asking if I want to go ahead "yes", or "no", but there is no way to confirm the "yes". If I click enter, that on the command line with packman will proceed with the install, I get a system beep, and at the same time CPU useage is topping out at 100%. The only way to kill it, apart from finding the pid with ps, is ctrl + alt + esc, and use the mouse pointer of death.

Interestingly, I tried to install 3 packages yesterday, and the console output ran, and the red line asking if I wanted to proceed was the last line. Today to try it out with a 3 package install, the red line [Y/n] was at the start of the console output.

Any backtraces I can provide? Saying that though I ran strace with it, and got a bunch of output, but when I tried the 3 package install, I don't recollect seeing any further output from strace.

Nice Java app though. Not quite the same as Synaptic that I use on my Debian, and Fedora installs, but nice all the same.

Nigel. aka speakeasy.

#5 2007-10-20 16:14:33

Mikko777

Aoorooorararara! please update jacman ^^

#6 2007-11-19 21:41:20

arooaroo
Website

Coming soon.

#7 2007-11-19 22:10:25

shining
Pacman Developer

arooaroo wrote:

In the longer term, I'd like to take advantage of the official pacman libs to do all the pacman tasks rather than playing with consoles. However, the API has not been deemed stable (as in the interfaces may change) so I'm not going to start working with it until stability has been declared.

On the other hand, it might not be a good idea to declare it stable before anyone uses it.
Designing a real frontend will probably make some limitations of the current API more obvious, and could be a motivation for fixing/improving it.
But well, I'm not sure what pacman developers think about this now, and I didn't see any discussion about it on pacman-dev ML, so feel free to ask there.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#8 2007-11-19 23:14:05

arooaroo
Website

Well, pacman itself is a CLI front-end to libalpm. So once the devs are happy with the library for pacman's purposes, then it should become stable enough for others to start using.

For all I know that stage may have been reached - I've not been watching. I guess I'm kind of hoping for a clear sign from the devs: some sort of announcement once that milestone has been reached.

#9 2007-11-26 06:31:59

grndrush
Website

In addition to Jacman locking up so frequently as to be unusable (for me), I've noticed that a LARGE number of packages are simply not listed. I really can't get it to function long enough to find out if it misses the same packages every time, or if it's random, but it's most definitely not listing all available packages.

#10 2007-11-27 15:58:29

wrc1944

I'm new to Arch (Gentoo user for years), and really liking it as an alternative I could recommend  to other users.
Jacman and java seemed to install OK, /etc/pacman seems OK, but I get the output below. Is this simply that jacman is not updated yet, or am I doing something wrong?  My system is currently updated.
Other pacman gui's Don't seem to be in the db- I've looked in all of them at the ftp site.  CL pacman works great, but I'd like to have a gui for easy browsing purposes. Any ideas, and/or how can I get one of the pacman gui's listed in the Arch WIKI installed, other than doing it manually outside of pacman, which I assume is not really a good idea?

[root@myhost wrc]# jacman
No protocol specified
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.InternalError: Can't connect to X11 window server using ':0.0' as the value of the DISPLAY variable.
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.initDisplay(Native Method)
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.access$100(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:52)
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment$1.run(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:155)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment.<clinit>(X11GraphicsEnvironment.java:131)
        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:169)
        at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment(GraphicsEnvironment.java:68)
        at sun.awt.X11.XToolkit.<clinit>(XToolkit.java:89)
        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:169)
        at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:836)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:828)
        at java.awt.Toolkit.getEventQueue(Toolkit.java:1678)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.invokeLater(EventQueue.java:954)
        at javax.swing.SwingUtilities.invokeLater(SwingUtilities.java:1264)
        at andyr.jacman.Jacman.main(Jacman.java:796)
[root@myhost wrc]# 

[root@myhost wrc]# pacman -S guzuta
error: 'guzuta': not found in sync db

[root@myhost wrc]# pacman -Sy gtkpacman
:: Synchronizing package databases...
kdemod is up to date
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
error: 'gtkpacman': not found in sync db

[root@myhost wrc]#

EDIT: Did some more searching on this forum, and found more info on the subject- looks like I need to build with AUR PKGBUILD, so being a long-time Gentoo user, I should have no problems.  I'm really liking Arch! smile

Last edited by wrc1944 (2007-11-27 16:18:54)

Board footer