You are not logged in.

#51 2007-11-29 16:56:37

har3

Re: Arch on Eee PC

stonecrest wrote:

har3: lo enabled? hostname in /etc/hosts?

Definitely had hosts right, don't know about lo. I have XP on it right now, can't check.

#52 2007-11-29 19:46:09

berkus
Website

Did anyone try building modules released by ASUS on arch?

They still miss atheros sources, but I guess that's not gonna happen at all. ndiswrapper to the rescue...

keep in touch.

#53 2007-12-05 13:56:02

once

E3pc 3th model-8G is up, in Taiwan.

#54 2007-12-06 01:29:01

elliot42

Could someone help installing the Eee kernel in Arch. I tried to do it by unpacking all the files from the debs from the Asus repo but I couldn't get it to boot. I got a kernel panic when init got to loading the filesystems. My problem is that I don't know how to make the proper initrd image file. I tried with "mkinitcpio -k 2.6.21.4-eeepc -g /boot/eeepc.img", but that's about the extent of my knowledge creating an initrd and it doesn't work.

I have since wiped the arch install and put xandros back on my Eee, but I'd like to try arch again. I just need some instruction after copying the files from the debs to making it all work.

Thanks.

#55 2007-12-06 02:29:06

lilsirecho
Veteran

You shold be able to load Faunos into the EeePC and run it from flash drive.  It will releive the SSD from having to support the activity.  It takes a 2GB flash drive for best performance.  Archlinux included as an alternate.

As a side issue, booting from a root session provides archlinux desktop.  There are about 500 programs in FaunOS most of which are provided in the archlinux desktop.  FaunOS is archlinux based and all functions of pacman are used.

The system utilizes squashfs for compressed files and operates "on the fly" decompression in performing operations.  The SSD is not involved.

I am presently in Faunos.  It permits adding new programs via aufs and overlays...best utilized with a 2GB flash drive to allow for the overlays. 

FaunOS has a forum with 80 registered members at present.  It is a young OS...performs very nicely with KDE desktop.

Best to you......

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#56 2007-12-06 02:53:11

elliot42

I'll give FaunOS a try (downloading it now), but i'd still like to try installing the eeepc kernel because it already has the modules for webcam, wireless, etc compiled for it. I'll try it in FaunOS as well i guess as I can just run it from the usb easily. Will probably still need some help from someone re initrd though.

Could I just copy over the initrd from the Xandros install and use that? Are initrd files just kernel specific, or OS specific?

#57 2007-12-06 02:55:41

lilsirecho
Veteran

I think in arch its mkinitcpio and I feel its arch related and often upgraded.....AFAICT

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#58 2007-12-06 03:04:44

lilsirecho
Veteran

If you do try Faun OS the first boot uses a profram mkxorgconf which should read the EeePC and setup the proper xorg.conf for the machine.  When booted, log out and select end session.  Then boot into arch as root.  While in arch, select gparted and increase the ext2 partition to allow for expansion with overlays.

Then do /etc/rc.conf and any other element that needs attention in order to function internet, etc.

EDIT:   Reboot and answer yes to save session.....
EDIT:  Also change pacman to latest and pacman.conf for "core" change.  Overlays are limited to nine but I think that means 0 thru 8.  Then delete  the lower numbered in arch root and rename the highest numbered overlay(s) to 0001,. etc and sqf.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2007-12-06 03:22:49)

#59 2007-12-08 23:49:00

once

anyone using 900MHZ overclock ?

#60 2007-12-09 04:59:45

beniro

t12ek wrote:

instead of partitioning the drive, I just zero'd the drive

Thanks for this.  I was about to commit ritual suicide when I read this.  wink

Zeroing the usb drive completely was the only way I got the eee to boot into the install...which I've put off until tomorrow, at least...

Thanks for the help, t12ek.

#61 2007-12-09 07:20:41

brushedtooth

once wrote:

anyone using 900MHZ overclock ?

Yep, well sort of, clocking to 900Mhz seems to be hit or miss sometimes it locks up other times it doesn't.  Seems to be more stable to run it with a fsb around 95.  If the fan is running and you try to set it at 100 is when it seems to lock up, but if you do it prior then put a load on it the system seems to be stable.

For others, I am using Arch core dump, madwifi with the patch from atheros, asus_acpi compiled from source (I had to modify the c code since one of the functions in the kernel library being called by the code has been changed).  Only thing I need to get working when I get time is the function keys.  Stock the sleep function key and brightness appear to work, but when returning from sleep I cannot adjust the brightness anymore.

#62 2007-12-09 13:40:37

beniro

bladesonfire wrote:

Hi all,

I'm' currently in the process of creating a Wiki for this. If you're so inclined, you can help out by visiting: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … sus_EEE_PC

If you need help, hopefully the article will be useful soon wink

Loving the wiki.  I'm getting prepared to try and build my own Eee kernel.  Thanks for this article.  I'm hoping more is added soon.  smile

#63 2007-12-09 17:33:00

beniro

Have you guys checked this site out?  Has some very useful guides.

http://cliffhacks.blogspot.com/

#64 2007-12-10 12:44:10

buttons

plus_M wrote:

once, the problem with upgrading the RAM is that Asus put the "Warranty void if seal broken" sticker over one of the screws to the RAM, so you can't upgrade it without voiding your warranty.  With the fragility of the Eee PC and the lifespan of the SSD I can't bring myself to void the warranty.

Just wanted to point out that this will NOT void your warranty.

Cthulhu For President!

#65 2007-12-10 20:20:23

beniro

I am trying to install to an SSD card, and after selecting packages, I try to install...all seems to go well, except, interspersed with the "Installing packages..." messages are messages like:

error: /mnt/foo can't be opened

The package install completes well, but there is some error and I can't edit the config files to proceed with the os install.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

EDIT: Ok, I figured out a bit better just what is going on: the dummy conf files are all empty, and when I select "root password" it tells me "passwd" doesn't exist.  Why is it not written to my drive?

RE-EDIT: I never figured out the solution, but I couldn't install to that drive, only the main flash drive.

Last edited by beniro (2007-12-12 01:20:26)

#66 2007-12-12 01:09:51

beniro

Here is a link on how to patch wadwifi with the wirless driver:

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu#wireless … fi_drivers

I'm so rusty in Arch these days...but I'm attempting to build a pkg with this patch.  I'll post the PKGBUILD if I get one that works.  If you get one working first, by all means post it.

#67 2007-12-12 13:27:56

galdor
Website

Hi,

I just installed an ArchLinux on my EEE, and made the wifi working using the Madwifi patch. Now i've a small problem with the screen brightness: everytime slim, mplayer or any OpenGL application starts, the brightness is set to the maximum.

I use Xandros' xorg.conf, and the default ArchLinux kernel, without acpid.

Is there a way to fix it ?

Thank you.

#68 2007-12-12 17:14:37

beniro

galdor: not sure how to fix your problem...

Did you build an Arch package of the patched madwifi?  If so, could you post the PKGBUILD?

#69 2007-12-12 17:50:35

beniro

galdor: could you post your fstab, please?  I'm having issues

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=307079

#70 2007-12-13 09:34:09

galdor
Website

beniro wrote:

galdor: not sure how to fix your problem...

Did you build an Arch package of the patched madwifi?  If so, could you post the PKGBUILD?

Nope, I just compiled it in /usr/local/src, sorry.

For my fstab, here it is:

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0      0

/dev/sda1 /boot ext2 noatime 0 1
/dev/sda2 / ext3 noatime 0 1

tmpfs /tmp tmpfs size=256m 0 0
tmpfs /home/galdor/temp tmpfs size=256m 0 0
tmpfs /var/log tmpfs size=16m 0 0
tmpfs /var/cache/pacman/pkg tmpfs size=256m 0 0

#71 2007-12-13 17:09:35

beniro

After doing the steps found here for setting up wirless:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup

I had to do this to get wlan0 created:

ndiswrapper -ma && ndiswrapper -mi

Someday, we should compile all of this into the wiki.  smile

#72 2007-12-18 21:30:22

beniro

Could someone help me getting the sound working?  I have the snd_dha_intel module loaded and the /dev/snd folder holds:

controlC0
hwC0D0
pcmC0D0c
pcmC0D0p
seq
timer

When I run amixer, it says no device is there.

#73 2007-12-19 00:28:35

mezoko
Website

zodmaner wrote:

<snipped>
PS. Did you guys also encountered the bug with shutting down the system? The one that if you want to turn off you have to press and hold down the power button to turn the machine off.

I didn't have time read the whole thread, but did you find a solution to this? I have a Dell Vostro 1000 and reboot and hibernate seem to work in term of turning of the system, but poweroff/shutdown I have to hold the power button.

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

#74 2007-12-21 01:25:51

filoktetes

I installed Arch on a 2Gb SD card, configured it for the Eee, made an image of it and uploaded a torrent to linuxtrackers.org It's called archeeemage-20071218
This is a really quick way to try out Arch on the eee. Just cat image > /dev/sdx and you're set. It takes away any need for an optical drive. And after booting it from the sd card, you can just copy it to the internal drive (you have to edit the grub boot option root=/dev/sdb1 to root=/dev/sda1, though...
Well, if anyone wants to try it out and give some feedback, I'll be glad. It's really at the proof of concept stage now, but most things work fine for me. It comes with kde, compiz-fusion, firefox, openoffice etc.

Last edited by filoktetes (2007-12-21 01:26:57)

#75 2007-12-21 02:03:57

once

filoktetes wrote:

I installed Arch on a 2Gb SD card, configured it for the Eee, made an image of it and uploaded a torrent to linuxtrackers.org It's called archeeemage-20071218
This is a really quick way to try out Arch on the eee. Just cat image > /dev/sdx and you're set. It takes away any need for an optical drive. And after booting it from the sd card, you can just copy it to the internal drive (you have to edit the grub boot option root=/dev/sdb1 to root=/dev/sda1, though...
Well, if anyone wants to try it out and give some feedback, I'll be glad. It's really at the proof of concept stage now, but most things work fine for me. It comes with kde, compiz-fusion, firefox, openoffice etc.

thanks for this image, just you & me on torrent this moment ^^
maybe package kdemod for smaller image next version.

Board footer