You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-23 14:12:57

fi-dschi

[solved] Xorg update makes screen become black for short time now a...

Hello,
when using the new xorg-server package, my screen becomes black for an instant every once in a while, needing some time to switch back on (perhaps a backlight problem?). This appears to be partially induced by fast mousewheel movements, but is not dependent on. The worst situations seem to be a XFCE-terminal producing lots of output or scrolling in Opera. Then the interrupts become inacceptable (about 1:1 on:off-ratio). The problem occured for the first time some weeks ago (when the xorg-server update was moved to current). In the meantime I have downgraded back to the previous versions of xorg-server and xf86-drivers, the problems have gone.
I use xf86-video-radeon open-source driver with an Radeon 9200, AIGLX, nothing like beryl or compiz but the default XFCE desktop without compositing. Removing the xorg.conf or using the vga or vesa drivers doesn't solve the problem. My system has the most current packages installed (nothing from testing). Frequencies and resolution should be all right (the xorg.conf worked with the old packages).

Another question: Where can I see which xorg-version is distributed in the repo? It should be something like 7.4 but the only package I have installed is xorg-server with version 1.2.0-5.

If you need more information, please ask me! Thank you for your answers.

fi-dschi

EDIT: Now I have the xorg-server from testing installed. As I deactivated the hSync-settings in xorg.conf I now have much less trouble. Scrolling and quick movements of windows etc. now don't cause problems. Yet the screen has just become black again, without any apparent reason.

Last edited by fi-dschi (2008-01-19 12:47:14)

#2 2007-11-29 21:36:01

fi-dschi

Re: [solved] Xorg update makes screen become black for short time now a...

I have good news: The problem now does hardly ever reappear. I have installed the xorg-server from testing and now my screen becomes black about once a day what is perfectly acceptable. As I don't know whether tis is healthful for my screen I am still interested in a clean solution. So please post your ideas if you know what the reason could be.

The german forums have given me some replies which, as yet, don't include an explanation for my monitors' interruptions. The thread can be found here:
http://forum.archlinux.de/?page=Postings;thread=7298

fi-dschi

Board footer