You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-30 18:01:23

kiguru

install previously downloaded package

hi guys

i m pretty noob in arch. i was ubuntu user so i install arch to give it try and my amaze its speed and philosphy of upgradation has made me its fan.
now i wanna make it primary system i've downloaded many packages and due to my speed limitation i can redownload them.
is there anyway i can install them on fresh installation. in ubuntu i used to make iso wid apt on cd software and later add it in apt source list as repo.
plz tell me full procedure to install these packages in arch.
thnx in advance.

#2 2007-11-30 18:05:12

Ramses de Norre

Re: install previously downloaded package

pacman -U package.pkg.tar.gz

#3 2007-11-30 18:09:55

kiguru

i think its for single package and didn't resolve dependency if not connected to internet. i want all my extra packages to be installed.
if its possible then how?

#4 2007-11-30 18:10:15

kakTuZ

all packages are stored in /var/cache/pacman/pkg and any downloaded package can be installed using "pacman -U /path/to/package/package_name-version.pkg.tar.gz"

for more infos see http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman and "man pacman" which is a general advice if you plan to use arch more often.

But be warned: due to the rolling release system, maintaining an arch install doesn't treat your bandwidth with much care.

#5 2007-11-30 18:16:53

kiguru

forgive me if it sound stupid but iwann know if i copy all compiz package with dependency packages in /var/cache/pacman/pkg and i use pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/compiz-fusion.pkg.tar.gz it will install all dependency package or i have to install them one by one.

#6 2007-11-30 19:18:14

lilsirecho
Veteran

The use of  ...pacman -U.... should give the listing of all dependencies for a given package that you have entered.

AFAIK you must include all of them in the pacman -U statement as a single command (separately is OK).

EDIT:  If you use ....pacman -Ud ......etcetra ....you will install the package you specified with no dependencies.  This will not install all of the packages in your cache with one command if that is your desire.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2007-11-30 19:53:45)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#7 2007-11-30 19:49:47

barebones

You can create a custom repo with pacman like in ubuntu if you like. The process would be something like this:

1. Put all your pkgs in a folder, for example ~/pkgs
2. Run this command

repo-add ~/pkgs/custom.db.tar.gz ~/pkgs/*.pkg.tar.gz

This will create a db for your custom repository in the directory with the pkgs.
3. Burn this folder to a disk
4. On the new system where you want to add these packages add this to your pacman.conf:

[custom]
Server = file:///path/to/mounted/cdrom

5. Install the packages with:

pacman -S custom/package

I haven't tested this myself (I'm not at a arch computer atm) but this process should be what you're looking for.

EDIT: I should mention that this info comes from the pacman.conf manpage, if you want to check that out

Last edited by barebones (2007-11-30 19:51:52)

#8 2007-11-30 20:00:47

lilsirecho
Veteran

If you desire to install all of your repo with one command...

Try;

pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/*.pkg.tar.gz      (perhaps you have a different location of your repo).

Assuming that the packages therein have all dependencies included.

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#9 2007-11-30 20:04:15

kumico
Website

just do `pacman -S pkg` ,, it only connects to the internet to download the missing cached packages and update teh db ,, so as long as your cache matches the versions in the db it should 'just work' lol

#10 2007-11-30 20:16:37

kiguru

thax all guys 4 hwlping me out. i've found my answers and bit more info.

arch forum is as speedy as my arch.

its amazing i've found all my answers in less than 2 hrs.

is it forum or irc channel... i m loving it

arch community rocks.

#11 2007-11-30 20:22:37

lilsirecho
Veteran

It seems that the question to be answered is confusing us all.

If you desire to install a previously downloaded package which was already installed with ...pacman -S compiz-fusion....You merely repeat the statement and answer yes to the download and pacman will reinstall from your .../var/cache/pacman/pkg  repo.

If you have downloaded the packages with ....pacman -Sw compiz-fusion..... the packages are still in your repo and should also install with ...pacman -S compiz-fusion.

These installs will install all dependencies.

I hope that this interpretation of your post is helpful.

Board footer