You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-22 04:10:32

Thrillhouse

Need some help with a PHP/MySQL GUI

I decided to learn me some PHP.  I need to get into some of these "hipper" languages to put on my resume.  So I decided to try and write a simple php-mysql app for basic input and retrieval of data.  Everything about php, itself, is fine.  I've found lots of teach yourself stuff about the language and it's very simple to connect to a db and run some queries.  The problem I'm having is I can't find a simple way to write a front-end to it.  I would like to integrate some html files I've written for it into it but can't seem to find any documentation on how to do that.  I have the html's and a skeleton of the code going but no idea on how to integrate them.  Any ideas?

Also, I've considered using this Akelos framework but I'm unsure if I really need it.  Does anybody have any experience with anything like that?

Also, what's an easy way to debug php?  Yes, it's very simple to write and run but the fact that it's an interpreted language doesn't give me a lot of confidence.  Sometimes, I'll write something and try to bring it up in a browser only to have the browser display nothing.  Not even basic print commands are outputting correctly (at least the way I want them to) and I have no way of figuring out why because the print functionality (which I always use to debug in Java/C) doesn't work! (ah, an infinitely recursive problem)

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

#2 2007-11-25 20:56:25

Thrillhouse

Re: Need some help with a PHP/MySQL GUI

...bump...

Anyone?

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

#3 2007-11-25 22:49:43

delphiki
Website

Have you tried phpMyAdmin for a MySQL front-end?

#4 2007-11-25 23:52:39

Thrillhouse

Sorry, maybe I should have been clearer.  I don't need a front end to administer the database.  I need to write my own front end for the program I'm writing.  I know html can be integrated with php but I don't know how to go about doing that.

#5 2007-11-26 11:33:40

Sekre

I'm just starting my road to php-guruness myself,
but might this be what you are looking for?

PHP Manual, include()

#6 2007-11-26 18:26:20

Thrillhouse

I don't think that's exactly it but you did start me down what looks like a promising path.

I found this:
http://www.phpbuilder.com/board/showthr … t=10232343

which looks like it might be able to help me.  I'll give it a go and post back here with my results.  Thanks.

#7 2007-11-30 20:13:54

Thrillhouse

Well, I have managed to write a serviceable GUI but it's nothing special.  It seems as long as you don't wrap the code in <?php?> tags, it will automatically be translated as html.  So, you can have one php file with a bunch of php tags interspersed with a bunch of html code and it will translate the php as php and html as html.  That actually makes sense.  I just never read that anywhere.

Anyways, I've now learned a bit about PHP but I don't think I'll be furthering my knowledge of it anytime soon.

Board footer