You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-01 15:16:02

jacko

gdm and pypanel???

Ok, so I tried to run gnome/openbox with pypanel from the gdm login manager, but I could never seem to get the pypanel to start using the .xsession code below, but if I ran just openbox with the following code below in .xsession it worked flawlessly, what is the problem? Its imperative that I use graphical login since I am not the only user of this computer.

pypanel &

#2 2007-12-01 15:31:16

buttons

Re: gdm and pypanel???

jacko wrote:

Ok, so I tried to run gnome/openbox with pypanel from the gdm login manager, but I could never seem to get the pypanel to start using the .xsession code below, but if I ran just openbox with the following code below in .xsession it worked flawlessly, what is the problem? Its imperative that I use graphical login since I am not the only user of this computer.

pypanel &

You'd have to check your ~/.xsession-errors for the exception (which GDM redirects stderr to by default), but I'd bet a fair bit the error is "PyPanel is trying to draw but your window manager isn't there and it poops out instead."

If you're not using a typical window manager (like XMonad, for instance), pypanel won't work and you should try trayer instead.

If you ARE using a typical window manager (like openbox), you'll need to write a handler for pypanel so it doesn't try to start before your WM does.

pypanel-handler.sh:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 3 && pypanel &

Stick that in whatever startup file you like and hopefully your WM will get there first.  Unfortunately there really isn't a more elegant solution to this; the fact is pypanel simply can't be started before your WM.

Cthulhu For President!

Board footer