You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-02 15:17:12

MartinZ

Suspend to disk not working anymore

Since kernel 2.6.23 I am not able to suspend-to-disk anymore.
When i try to suspend, everything seems fine but next time linux loads it doesn't boot from the image, but as usual. This time it doesn't recognize my swap, so i have to recreate it and mount it manually.

So, it seems that the suspend image is done, but somehow the swap is "destroyed".

I guess it is related with the release of tuxonice 3 series, because until kernel 2.6.22 everything worken fine, and I didn't change anything but the kernel. I used hibernate-script from extra, which is outdated since kernel-suspend isn't available anymore. I also tried the suspend pkg from AUR (which is orphaned now) and modified the PKGBUILD from hibernate-scripts a little to get the latest version, with no luck.

I'm actually using kernel 2.6.24-rc3 zen, in a desktop computer.

I really would appreciate some help with this.

All your base are belong to us

#2 2007-12-02 21:02:43

abstracity

Re: Suspend to disk not working anymore

Could you post some of your configuration files that are relevant to the problem you are having?  What method were you using to suspend before kernel 2.6.23 that no longer gets you inside your boot image after a reboot?  If you tried out suspend from the AUR, did you add the proper "resume" hook to the configuration file and regenerate the image?  What does your menu.lst look like?  If all of these configuration files are correct and indicate that you should be able resume properly, then you know it is another issue, possibly of a conflicting kernel, file, or some other non-user inadequecy.  Knowing the model of your laptop would also be helpful. smile

Without error there can be no brilliancy. ― Emanuel Lasker

#3 2007-12-02 23:08:04

MartinZ

This is unbelivable.... while I was writing you a LONG answer, I checked the suspend pkg from AUR because I didnt remember the name of the hook used by it. I saw that it was adopted today and changed name to uswsusp. So, I decided to give it a new try... and worked!! I lived without suspend about a month before I decided to ask for help, so it is very strange this to me, but maybe I made a stupid mistake many times.  hmm

Anyway, it is working now and am pretty happy with it. Thanks a lot for replying.

#4 2007-12-03 13:31:24

patroclo7

Just for future reference, the hook of uswsusp is not called "resume", but "uresume".

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#5 2007-12-03 17:31:15

mintcoffee
Website

You can also give TuxOnIce a try since it's compiled into the zen kernel. I find the kernel-space hibernation to be more stable than the user-space suspend.

Arch on a Thinkpad T400s

#6 2007-12-03 21:03:23

MartinZ

Sorry but, how do you do that?

Board footer