You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-10 21:28:09

vor_lord

WM (pekwm) not launching?

I installed the pekwm package, and had this .xinitrc:

exec pekwm

When X starts, all I get are the big X cursor and the ugly black and white fuzz screen.  I can't find any errors, but no WM starts.

I then pacman -R pekwm, build my own pekwm, and everything works just fine.

Is there perhaps a missing dependency in the pekwm package, or am I missing something about how this should be done?  I suspect the latter, as the same thing happens if I try to exec xfwm4 (instead of using startxfce), but I'm not sure what's wrong as I get no feedback, and my own custom built version works just fine....

#2 2004-06-14 09:32:12

Namlook

Re: WM (pekwm) not launching?

Did you have an .pekwm in your home before starting pekwm. It is possible that the package don't provide a .pekwm (I didn't have this probleme because I put my .pekwm before starting pekwm...

Namlook :-)

#3 2004-06-15 15:25:00

vor_lord

Re: WM (pekwm) not launching?

Namlook wrote:

Did you have an .pekwm in your home before starting pekwm. It is possible that the package don't provide a .pekwm (I didn't have this probleme because I put my .pekwm before starting pekwm...

Namlook :-)

I do have a .pekwm (I have the same home dir for a RH9 installation I have to use for work).  But you did give me a good idea... I just now discovered what was happening (evil pekwm).  I had in my .pekwm/config file to look for the default theme in /usr/local/share/pekwm, when the arch package puts it in /usr/share/pekwm.

This causes pekwm to start eating 100% of the CPU... I found this out because I installed the Arch package _after_ doing a braindead make install from source (another evilness of pekwm, its makefile doesn't have an uninstall).  It worked fine.  Then I proceeded to clean up the stuff in /usr/local from the 'make install', and the problem returned.

Haven't tested it out yet (I'm not at home and I haven't got VNC tunneling through SSH yet) but I'm pretty certain this is the root cause.

[edit]
Tested -- that indeed was the problem.  Not very graceful handling by pekwm, but no problem with the package.

Board footer