You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-05 13:09:33

synthead

I think I just f***ed my system up :( :( :(

So ...

I was copying some stuff, doing this and that, was changing permissions.  Guess there was a symlink somewhere, cause that wildcard really made my system eat it.  Without thinking a lot about it (whoops), I was running commands like ...

sudo chown max *
sudo chown max */*
sudo chown max */*/*

And so on.

I suppose I'll just keep going on as normal, correcting errors in the process, cause I've done a looooot of work on this system.  Right now, I can't su.  I found that my normal user had ownership of bash, su, and login, so I reclaimed ownership to root.  If I sudo passwd, I still can't log on as root via su (but sudo still works).

What should I take a look at?  I'm almost certain it's a permissions problem somewhere tongue

#2 2007-12-05 13:29:49

synthead

Re: I think I just f***ed my system up :( :( :(

So I realized that I can login fine at a terminal, I just can't su anywhere.

#3 2007-12-05 17:01:52

iggy

can login into a console as root? (not in x, console!)

if you can, then change the owner of all your files to root:root (chown -R root:root /). after that you can change the owner of the home directories. eventually you also have to change ownerships for tomcat etc.

if you cannot login as root - use the arch cd (only mount your partitions, change to a console, login and you can find them under /tmp) to change the ownership to root.

i don't know, if this works, but i think so! wink good luck...

mfg iggy

Last edited by iggy (2007-12-05 17:02:26)

sorry for my bad english smile

#4 2007-12-05 19:35:26

synthead

Alright, sounds like a good plan to me.  I'll start on that when I get back home.  Thank you very much for the advice.

Board footer