You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-11 09:34:38

vladtepes

uninstall a compiled programm??

Greetings,

first, hi to all...as you see, im new here and love archlinux since i installed it...(at the moment its only on second computer...but if everything is running that fine the next time, im sure it will become the main operating system on my first machine)

ok, now my problem,...definitly its very simple, and i feel a little bit  :oops:

usually i dont have problems in compiling programms by my own, but yesterday, i noticed that i really dont know how to uninstall a self-compiled programm!!!

can somebody out there please tell a shamed linux user how this works??

thanks for sure...
and please dont blame me to hard  wink

[img]http://www.ccc.de/campaigns/music/boykott1.gif[/img]

#2 2004-06-11 10:25:56

Bobonov

Re: uninstall a compiled programm??

What do you mean exactly with "self compiled"?

1) you compile and installed a software
2) you maked an Arch PKG and installed it

the second case is obvious, use pacman
pacman -R package-name

In the first case, generally speaking, you should try to find all the files and remove them. But this is a bit dangerous (ie you delete the wrong file) and difficoult for large application.

But there is a trick you can use. For this you need to know how to make a package, consult the documentation for it.

Basically make a package of the application you want to remove with the exactly the same flags you used during the first compiling/install, off course exept the flags neede to install "localy" the files, that basically is

make prefix=$startdir/pkg/usr install

Once you have the package install it with
pacman -Af /path/to/file-name.pkg
Specify the f option since these file are already present in the system and you need to force the installation.
Afterwards remove the package and you system should be cleaned.

#3 2004-06-11 10:27:43

robot5x

Well, if the people who wrote the programme are really nice, they will have included a make uninstall script, but this happens rarely, and who keeps their source dir hanging around anyway...
Using Arch the best way is to just use ABS and create a pacman package by yourself. Then it's obviously easy to install/uninstall at will.
There is also now srcpac
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … ght=srcpac
but I haven't tried it yet myself...

#4 2004-06-11 10:50:16

vladtepes

Greetings

first, thanks for the answers...

but what if i installed a programm with an install.sh script...then i have no flags defined or something like that..or?
if there is no uninstall script and i am not yet trusted in building my own packages(i will get used to it)...is there another possibillity?

[img]http://www.ccc.de/campaigns/music/boykott1.gif[/img]

#5 2004-06-11 13:08:21

Bobonov

If you have an install.sh script you can easyly track where the files were copied.
In the script I guess there should be something like
cp ./bin/* /bin
so just go to the local directory of the script see which file were copied and where and remove them manualy.

#6 2004-06-11 13:13:24

afu

You can also cd to the src directory and do:
make install | tee text.txt

then do a "less text.txt" and use that as your guide for program removal.
-Shawn

#7 2004-06-12 17:25:19

venox
Website

You can type

# make uninstall

In the folder that the source tarballs were compiled, most developers create that command so you can uninstall your software.

I think you don't want to keep all source code you compile, to someday you uninstall it. So, you need to create packages from it, so you can remove them by using pacman:

# pacman -R package

#8 2004-06-12 19:15:16

KalephOne

One alternative is to use stow - ibm's site had a nice guide about it. I'm thinking about creating a small wiki showing how to use it.

Kaleph
jabber: kaleph@jabber.org

Board footer