You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-29 11:08:25

ady86

Install to USB stick

I want a portable arch install on a USB stick.  In the wiki there is only a tutorial on how to install from usb.  I want an arch install with hardware detect like a live cd but with a writable enviroment. I want to install LAMP, Eclipse PDT and other tools, i want to be able to work on it, save, go to any PC, boot, work, save etc. So i'm guesing a good starting point would be archie if it has good hardware detect. I never tried archie before so if anyone has tried doing something similar can you please give me some pointers, where to start, what problems have you encountered etc.
Thanks.

#2 2007-11-29 11:34:42

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Install to USB stick

Have a look at FaunOS.

#3 2007-12-04 12:15:16

TheSaint

I didn't get if FaunOS is compressed or not. If I want to copy my Arch into an USB HD (uncompressed), which procedure should I take?

F

Last edited by TheSaint (2007-12-04 12:16:18)

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#4 2007-12-04 15:19:19

pelle.k

Why not just install to the usb hd? I use persistant drive names (e.g. by LABEL or UIID) in fstab and grub (installed on usb hd mbr). I do this with a copy of ubuntu, but nevertheless, arch should be just as fine. I think you need to update mkinicpi.conf to include usb storage modules in the initrd image though.
Also, since you plan to use it on several computers, don't use hwdetect to fill in modules in mkinicpio.conf and rc.conf, since this would be done best dynamically by udev at bootup, if i'm not mistaken?

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#5 2007-12-04 16:37:08

lilsirecho
Veteran

Ady86;

FaunOS is indeed compressed and decompresses into ram while in use.  It has 500 packages and operates very snappy.

The bonus for FaunOS is it can operate in archlinux format as well while in root session so two OS distros are available with one flash boot!

Operating in Live mode as root carries no stigma since a reboot clears the system.

Pacman is used in aufs to enable save session.  A 2gb flash drive is best to allow for expansion via save session.  The initial install to flash is akmost 1GB.

Try it, you can only lose time!!!

No hassles with permissions in root mode archlinux!!

Last edited by lilsirecho (2007-12-04 16:38:53)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#6 2007-12-04 22:10:16

pelle.k

Allow me to be a royal pain in the ass, but, even though it may be safe - it is not the best security practice, and also a bad habit. We are, after all, creatures of habit.

You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.

SETH / Jane Roberts

#7 2007-12-05 01:03:49

lilsirecho
Veteran

Pelle.k:    Please refrain from making such statements of dubious merit.

Not one person has proven that root in archlinux is a security risk since I began using it since I began in 2003 and I have 2000 posts.

Please leave the subject alone without any proof of what you say and don't interfere with other users proposals.

Yours is an opinion only.

In Live mode no damages can be encountered to the arch system from any mode of user operation.......

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#8 2007-12-05 10:04:53

TheSaint

pelle.k wrote:

I use persistant drive names (e.g. by LABEL or UIID) in fstab and grub (installed on usb hd mbr).

My PC doesn't boot from USB, but other PC may take such advantage. I got to do it successly with MDK 10.1 some year back, only there was an issue in xfconfig4, that was only able to choose if I started either the laptop or the desktop. If the udev will do better reconizing I'll get broader chance to boot from other PC, but I doubt about the X server.

The rest I got some valuable point to which I'll follow, only I've doubt how I'll be able to write to the USB HD on the MBR. Maybe I'll dd my HD MBR to that HD.

For the laptop I got a /boot partition and grub will have to deal in it, after reconizing all devices it should start from out of the box.

F

Last edited by TheSaint (2007-12-05 10:05:39)

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#9 2007-12-06 03:29:40

pelle.k

@ lilsirecho;
I was merely stating a fact, not an opinion. Using a root account is by *defenition* less secure than a user account with less privileges. Don't take it personally.
Hypothetically, live mode root operation would leave no permanent changes, unless a physical hard drive is accessible from the live system, unless specifically blocked in some way. Sure.
Note that i was not in any way discrediting FaunOS nor the practicality of using a root account in this distro. I was just pointing to the dangers with getting too "relaxed" with issues related to using a root account in any OS. That reminds me of this quote;

Create good habits, and let them be your masters. / Brian Tracy, "The psychology of achievement"

@ TheSaint;
Just plug your internal HD out, and then perform a normal installation from the install CD. The MBR on the usb is no less accessible than the mbr on your internal drives. Then use the BIOS boot menu to prioritize the USB HD (if connected) when booting your system.
Xorg shouldn't need an xorg.conf, nowadays. I've tried starting it without it, and it works for me at least.

SETH / Jane Roberts

#10 2007-12-06 05:28:11

lilsirecho
Veteran

Part of the idea for Live flash OS operation is to reduce the power needs.  Thus, the security of the sensitive data is provided by turning off the hDD's and the power dissipation is thereby minimized.

My present boot up has no HDD in its system, only a cd/dvd r/w and boots up in 45secs.  Lcd display 17", often turned off.

System can boot to ram as my system has 2GB and leave it running 24/7.

Boots into FaunOS but archlinux is available in root session.  Each OS uses archlinux as its base with FaunOS adding some features.  System operation is squashfs and de-compression is "on the fly".

Worth a looksee.......

#11 2007-12-06 23:01:00

lilsirecho
Veteran

Today, I partitioned a 100GB maxtor drive in gparted.EDIT: 100GB

I booted via flash drive into FaunOS.  I selected FaunOS install to HDD.

I installed the FaunOS system into the HDD with that utility.  About two minutes.

I then rebooted into the Hdd which was successful in booting into FaunOS.

After log out and end session, I entered archlinux as root with a sparse desktop but full menu in KDE.  Internet setup was select wired ethernet.

There are 500 packages provided with this install of archlinux/faunos.  It is not the latest kernel.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2007-12-06 23:06:40)

Board footer