You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-08 13:26:08

xnooby2

What is Stalonetray ?

I'm not sure what exactly a "tray" is.  Does it store icons of minimized apps that are running?  Or is it a kind of menu?  Some pictures seem to have clocks in them, how did they get a clock in the tray?  How are apps like mail notifiers put in to the tray?

#2 2007-12-08 13:45:10

buttons

Re: What is Stalonetray ?

It's a system tray, aka notification area.  It stores tray icons.  Many panels have these notification areas builtin.  Stalonetray is a stand-alone version of this.

Getting a clock in the tray is almost certainly more trouble than it's worth wink, but if you're desperate, GTim and GDat are your tickets.  You can find them here.  What these programs do is place time and date icons in your system tray, respectively.  Again, many panels have this feature built in.

Personally, I would recommend conky or dzen to display time if you don't want a panel.  Another option is to use pypanel, which has both a notification area and a clock function, and you can turn the rest off.

Mail-notification is easy.  The program is called "mail-notification," and it's in extra.  It supports IMAP/gmail as well as everything else.  This app has a tray icon in the shape of an envelope when you have mail.  Otherwise, it can be hidden or take the shape of an inbox.

Cthulhu For President!

#3 2007-12-08 15:06:10

PJ

I found an interesting blog on Planet Openbox, it mention a program named lal, which by the way is a clock that resides in the tray. More information here.

Last edited by PJ (2007-12-08 15:14:41)

#4 2007-12-08 21:11:02

xnooby2

PJ wrote:

I found an interesting blog on Planet Openbox, it mention a program named lal, which by the way is a clock that resides in the tray. More information here.

What IS Planet Openbox?  I've seen it before, but thought it was some kind of shared blog, not really Obenbox-specific.

#5 2007-12-08 21:13:33

xnooby2

Thanks for the help buttons and PJ!  I will check out conky/dzen and Planet Openbox tonight.

#6 2007-12-08 21:53:12

PJ

Actually, Planet Openbox isn't a program, it's more of a website that collects many blogs, which sometimes have some information related to Openbox. So your first observation was pretty much correct. I put the link in my post as a reference from where I had found the information, maybe I shouldn't have done that sinse it seems like it was more confusing then helping. Anyway, the second link in my previous post is actually the one that goes to a page which has some information about lal ("lal" is the name of the program)

You could get lal by using the following command:

git clone git://code.l3ib.org/.users/daf/lal.git

I tried to compile it and it did work on my machine (a simple "make" will do it). I haven't made a PKGBUILD for it yet, not sure that I am going to since I was only checking if it could compile. There are some basic settings which could be put inside the .Xdefaults . lal --help will give you most of the stuff regarding that.

#7 2007-12-11 17:05:13

rhfrommn

I thought it was a system tray with soundbites, video, and icons inspired by Rocky and Rambo.  smile

#8 2007-12-12 03:46:53

Xilon

This may be a good place to ask, does anyone know how to make icons in stalonetray to appear to the left?
I have tried both `--grow-gravity W` and `--grow-gravity E` (as well as `--icon-gravity'), but the tray still "grows" to the right. What I mean by that is that the  x,y coordinates of the left side stay constant, while the right side moves to the right. I want the complete opposite, so that the right side stays constant. Currently I can achieve this in trayer by using `--align right`, but trayer doesn't let you set the background colour which sucks.

#9 2007-12-12 09:28:12

pressh
Developer/TU

Xilon wrote:

This may be a good place to ask, does anyone know how to make icons in stalonetray to appear to the left?
I have tried both `--grow-gravity W` and `--grow-gravity E` (as well as `--icon-gravity'), but the tray still "grows" to the right. What I mean by that is that the  x,y coordinates of the left side stay constant, while the right side moves to the right. I want the complete opposite, so that the right side stays constant. Currently I can achieve this in trayer by using `--align right`, but trayer doesn't let you set the background colour which sucks.

I remember I had problems with this as well. I finally solved it by swallowing it in my fvwmdock like this

*FvwmDock: (80x38, Swallow (NoClose) 'stalonetray' `Exec exec stalonetray --icon-gravity NE -p`)

however I'm not sure why this works for me and other things I tried did not work. Give it a try, it may work for you too.

Board footer