You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-12 11:33:21

hecker

setup: selecting packages

i'm using the arch 0.6 iso for installation. yesterday i've installed arch linux without any problems. during the installation i've only selected the base package categorie.

but now i want to install some other packages additional. my steps are:
- booting from cd
- enter /arch/setup
- select packages

at this point i dont have any problems. but... for example:
i select the whole daemons category and OK. then i try to install the daemon category and it end's with an error: error: cannot resolve dependencies for "libpng": "zlib" is not in the package set

hm what? libpng isn't listet in the daemon category. ok... another example:
- select whole x11 category
- OK
- install packages
- error: cannot resolve dependencies for "aterm": "xfree86" is not in the package set

i simply cant install anything. even when i select all categories and all packages, i get this error: error: cannot resolve dependencies for "bash": "readline" is not in the package set

so... what's wrong??

#2 2004-06-12 11:58:58

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: setup: selecting packages

Arch is a very dynamic distro.  By that I mean that it is constantly changing and the packages are updated daily.  The CD releases are just a snaphot of the packages at the particular moment in time when a new version is released.  The 0.6 release is quite old now (0.7 should be out within the next two months).

Your best chance of success with a new install would be to install from the mini-CD and only install the packages from the CD (do not do an FTP install).
When selecting packages, just select all of base.  It should only take you about 10-15 minutes to install this way.

The next step would be to get your net connection up and then sync/update the package manager itself with, 'pacman -Sy pacman'.  The next step would be to update any other software from base with, 'pacman -Su'.  From there, you can begin installing any other additional software.

Good luck,
farphel
[/quote]

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#3 2004-06-12 12:29:05

hecker

hm thats ...funny. i've downloaded and installed arch 0.6 yesterday, at the moment i dont have a net connection for the target pc, so i can only install from cd. i dont understand why arch linux cant install the packages from the same install cd additional.

#4 2004-06-12 13:31:37

mak
Website

hiho.

maybe u should try to use the cd-pkg-directory as a local repository
and ONLY install the pkgs u really need ...

there is a guide how to manage this in the wiki.

btw. i did some .6-installs some weeks ago and everything worked ok.
however i didn't use the cd-setup-routine[?] to install additional pkgs ...

mak.

$ wget -c -r -l inf -i what_the_hel.l

#5 2004-06-12 17:55:46

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

You aren't selecting DONE after seting your mount points and partitioning.  If you don't select DONE, everything is actually being installed to the ramdisk and it can't resolve this stuff because it keeps running out of space.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer