You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-11 17:10:26

dp
Website

Xfce 4.2

some notes from the developers:
http://www.xfce.org/xfce_42_info/xfce42.html
many new features

i for myself will use xfce4 as default WM/DE, when the session management works and the xfce4-mixer  is rewritten - what both will be in 4.2

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2004-06-11 17:31:38

xerxes2
Website

Re: Xfce 4.2

I checked out the xfce site yesterday dp. Really nice, the whole project seems to be very professional. big_smile
I will probably stay with it for a long time. When Fluxbox 1.0 comes I will give it a shut though. wink
It seems like openbox is left in the dust at the moment.

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

#3 2004-06-11 17:42:57

dp
Website

if i have to choose from fluxbox or openbox, i would choose fluxbox --- but if xfce would have these small things made properly (what i hope will be in 4.2), then if i have to choose from fluxbox or openbox, i choose xfce4 :-) --- of course kde must be installed in every case, just to have konqueror and kontact working ;-)

#4 2004-06-11 17:57:09

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I'm thinking of switching to XFCE someday because I want to have everything on my system installed from current... but that reason just isn't quite enough to move me from ion...

Dusty

#5 2004-06-12 08:47:39

skoal
Website

Dusty wrote:

... but that reason just isn't quite enough to move me from ion...

Here! Here! Maybe in future XFCE revisions they will make the desktop completely keyboard driven (if wanted).  I read that's the primary feature of ION and some other WM's.  I'm sticking with XFCE at the moment, but I hope they add methods to fix the menu editor (and allow icons in the menu), and add more keyboard configurability.

I got to thinking the other nite, as often as I jump ship to different WM's and desktops, I keep scratching my chin and wondering..."hmm...if it only had this or if it only had that..."  And, then I wait a moment, scratch my chin a little harder, and conclude, "You know, even the minimalist WM or desktop on Linux gives you far more control and features than on Winblows..."  Then, I scratch my head and amuse myself at the legions of Redmond followers..."poor suckers..."  It really is a joy to have so many options on Linux, and witness apps mature before your eyes, and others born from an idea.  I feel like a kid in a candy store sometimes...

#6 2004-06-12 14:54:29

jlvsimoes
Website

i just finished compiling xfce4 cvs and it rocks i compiled xfce4-session 2 and its realy cool no pkgbuilds sorry but nest xfce4 will be coolest
here is a screanshot afther install http://routty.dhis.org/xfce4-cvs.jpeg

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GU/ d- s: a- C L U P+ L+++ E--- W+
N 0+ K- W-- !O !M V-- PS+ PE- V++ PGP T 5 Z+ R* TV+ B+
DI-- D- G-- e-- h! r++ z+ z*
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

#7 2004-06-12 18:03:24

kakabaratruskia

XFCE is the linux desktop that does things right. I think kde, and especially gnome, are going the wrong way.

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#8 2004-06-12 18:52:37

dp
Website

kakabaratruskia wrote:

XFCE is the linux desktop that does things right. I think kde, and especially gnome, are going the wrong way.

what do you mean by "wrong"?

i for example like to use konqueror also from fluxbox or xfce4, but booting the whole kde is very rare, as this huge thing has really momentum :-)

#9 2004-06-12 20:15:37

xerxes2
Website

KDE is a buggy,bloated mess at the moment dp. I read somewhere that first priority for 3.3 is to clean up in the libs, better organisation in general and hopefully less bugs. smile  smile

Konqi is good as a browser but got "very" slow redraws compare to firefox. Try to scroll a site with heavy use of CSS and you will see it, atleast in my box that is the case.. wink

OT: 1. Why don't you write the latin names on the species on your pics.
2. Good luck to the swiss team tomorrow against Croatia. It's time to show us that you can do more than cheese.;)

#10 2004-06-12 20:35:03

dp
Website

xerxes2 wrote:

KDE is a buggy,bloated mess at the moment dp. I read somewhere that first priority for 3.3 is to clean up in the libs, better organisation in general and hopefully less bugs. smile  smile

yes, a good cleanup for kde is needed, that's true

xerxes2 wrote:

Konqi is good as a browser but got "very" slow redraws compare to firefox. Try to scroll a site with heavy use of CSS and you will see it, atleast in my box that is the case.. wink

yes, i'm aware of this, but it only happens, when you have

display: block;

in css and/or using transprent layers

xerxes2 wrote:

OT: 1. Why don't you write the latin names on the species on your pics.

do you mean on my website? 2 reasons: 1) i have no special species there (most of them are recognizable by a non-biologist) and 2) if i would, google would show my site if someone searches for this animal/plant - but i have no infos, only a pic or 2

xerxes2 wrote:

2. Good luck to the swiss team tomorrow against Croatia. It's time to show us that you can do more than cheese.;)

hey, thanx! not being a football fan, i also hope we at least win one game (we are good in tennis and other sports - football is not the main one in my eyes) - HOPP SCHWIIZ!! :-)

HOPP SCHWIIZ!!chbig.gifHOPP SCHWIIZ!!

#11 2004-06-12 21:18:21

xerxes2
Website

I meant the pics in your sigg dp. smile

Konqi also got problems with "position:fixed" but that is maybe the heaviest feature there is on the market.;)

Sweden plays against Bulgaria on monday, heja Sverigeeeeeeeeeeeeee! big_smile
Go Sweden! Sverige.jpg
Edit: Maybe an explanation of your new sigg would be helpful.;) in max three sentences.:)

M.L Gore wrote:

Words are very unnecessary
they can only do harm

#12 2004-06-12 21:41:53

skoal
Website

What's going on? I'm American but enjoy nothing more than sitting back with a brew and pretzels, watching World Cup "football".  I thought the next World Cup was in 2006? and qualifications next year...but, then again I'm American.  What do i know...

whatever's going on over there in Europe, go Sweden...but, overall...I hope the Czech republic destroys you all....

muAaahahahahaahhha...

and just to keep this post on topic, so it won't get modded to another forum...what's the deal with Linus Torvalds hair?

#13 2004-06-12 21:54:46

xerxes2
Website

He he he the european championships in soccer started today. big_smile
Spain-Russia 1-0 and Greece-Portugal 2-1
The host nation Portugal got beaten in the first game. Very bad for them!

#14 2004-06-12 22:40:55

dp
Website

for posting about EM 2004 go to this thread:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=30717

#15 2004-06-12 22:49:58

dp
Website

xerxes2 wrote:

I meant the pics in your sigg dp. smile

the actual avatar shows a Parus major (de: Kohlmeise, en: Great Tit, fr:Mésange charbonnière)

the last signature
wow1.jpg
was a Xylocopa violacea (de: Holzbiene, en: Carpenter Bee, fr:l'Abeille charpentière) in flight

xerxes2 wrote:

Konqi also got problems with "position:fixed" but that is maybe the heaviest feature there is on the market.;)

yes, that's true - also Safari or some Mozillas have big trouble with this (IE i do not compare, as they do not even try to respect w3 standards)

xerxes2 wrote:

Sweden plays against Bulgaria on monday, heja Sverigeeeeeeeeeeeeee! big_smile
Go Sweden! Sverige.jpg
Edit: Maybe an explanation of your new sigg would be helpful.;) in max three sentences.:)

M.L Gore wrote:

Words are very unnecessary
they can only do harm

yea, good luck on monday - "heja Sverige" - as we need good oponents for the final :-)

#16 2004-06-12 23:05:33

kakabaratruskia

dp wrote:
kakabaratruskia wrote:

i for example like to use konqueror also from fluxbox or xfce4, but booting the whole kde is very rare, as this huge thing has really momentum :-)

Both of them, KDE and GNOME, have lot's of bugs (gnome specially, crashes a lot) and I hate that they have their own three terabyte library, cause it makes them eat a lot of RAM, especially when you mix apps.

of the Boy Scout Manual.

#17 2004-06-12 23:26:23

dp
Website

kakabaratruskia wrote:
dp wrote:
kakabaratruskia wrote:

Both of them, KDE and GNOME, have lot's of bugs (gnome specially, crashes a lot) and I hate that they have their own three terabyte library, cause it makes them eat a lot of RAM, especially when you mix apps.

that's extremly true - but some of the apps are very usefull - so if there is enough harddisk space to install them, you can use fluxbox or xfce4 or something else that is light and run out if it e.g. konqueror or some other nice part of kde/gnome

i agree with you fully that starting a fully featured kde or gnome is
1) using too much ram
2) takes long
3) is in most cases not needed
4) kde and both need cleanup

#18 2004-06-13 01:14:43

kakabaratruskia

In my case are k3b and nautilus the apps I need from them, so I have to load both kde and gnome libraries. It's shit.

of the Boy Scout Manual.

#19 2004-06-13 09:17:22

dp
Website

kakabaratruskia wrote:

In my case are k3b and nautilus the apps I need from them, so I have to load both kde and gnome libraries. It's shit.

yes, i stoped using nautilus exactly because of this; but unfortunately i use other gnome stuff, so i load both too (out of fluxbox - or lately now more and more xfce4)

#20 2004-06-15 00:35:59

ganlu

Could you share your PKGBUILD or packages fo xfce 4.2

#21 2004-06-15 00:40:11

xerxes2
Website

xfce4.2cvs
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=5118
They are working on it I think. wink

#22 2004-06-17 02:46:40

TheRaginAsian
Website

Yeah, XFCE 4.2 looks so amazing, cant wait for it. My biggest gripe was always the fact that the File Manager was so crappy in my opinion but that appears to be getting an over-haul... a file manager like Nautilus is all I ask and ill use XFCE in a heartbeat, Gnome feels clunky a lot but it seems to be the best right now.

John Gallias
Technician/Friend/Bassist
http://www.concretearmy.com
john@concretearmy.com
john.gallias@gmail.com
Arch Linux v0.7 (Wombat), XFce 4.2, XOrg, Firefox

#23 2004-06-17 14:16:32

Arielext
Website

sorry guys
vlag.gif
Hup holland hup!!

apt-get install arch

#24 2004-06-17 15:07:52

famavolat
Website

TheRaginAsian wrote:

Yeah, XFCE 4.2 looks so amazing, cant wait for it. My biggest gripe was always the fact that the File Manager was so crappy in my opinion but that appears to be getting an over-haul... a file manager like Nautilus is all I ask and ill use XFCE in a heartbeat, Gnome feels clunky a lot but it seems to be the best right now.

Yea that's what I'm sayin... does anyone know of a decent GTK/GTK2 file manager that is similar to windows explorer? I use XFCE4 but the file manager just flat out blows.

I heard something about xfe, it seems like what we might be looking for. But I don't think I could get it to compile last time I tried. It uses FOX gui toolkit and something was going on with fox and xfe not wanting to compile. sad

http://roland65.free.fr/xfe/

#25 2004-06-17 20:31:49

skparkes

Yes, Xfe does not compile with the latest fox.  It's a shame, cause xfe is a very nice simple explorer type file manager.

On to the replacements though.  I really recommend rox.  I know it's spacial, but I've gotten used to it, and it really is pretty nice to use.  Very fast and snappy as well.  Don't think it's ever crashed on me.

Give it a try, it's in pacman repository.

Later,

Isamoor

Board footer