You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-12 05:53:43

xnooby2

How do I make OpenBox and fbpanel look good?

I decided to start dressing up my OpenBox desktop with fbpanel first, and maybe later stalonetray.  fbpanel comes with one working icon, and a few broken ones.  I understand I need to get some icons from somewhere, and put them in my home directory, or system share, and configure fbpanel to use those icons.  I dont really know which icons I should get, or if I need "gtk" icons or a "gtk engine" or anything like that.  I also dont know which size icons I should get, my dekstop is 1024x768.  I want a consistent look and feel, so having a bunch of icons to cover most objects would be ideal.

I read the Arch Wiki OpenBox Themes and Appearance, but I did not know how much applied to me.  They talk about managing your gtk themes, I don't think I have any.  They mention openbox-themes, would they conflict with a gtk-theme?  I don't really know where to start, other than I am sure I will be using openbox and fbpanel at first.

#2 2007-12-12 14:40:29

RobbeR49

Re: How do I make OpenBox and fbpanel look good?

Openbox themes will only affect the window manager itself, basically the titlebar/window decoration and the right-click menu, and a couple other minor things.

GTK is a widget library that people employ to create their programs, so changing your gtk-engines and gtk-themes will affect things like general colors, check-boxes, sliders, scroll-bars, etc. Essentially the look and feel of the program itself. Certain themes use certain engines to function so you will need both. Not everything uses GTK as the widget set (namely KDE programs - they use QT instead) but the gnome and XFCE desktop environments both use it so any program that is part of those will be affected by changing your GTK theme.

All the actual specifics for changing this stuff should be in the wiki.

#3 2007-12-13 03:25:10

xnooby2

Thanks!

#4 2007-12-13 04:26:53

rson451
Website

i know this is kinda out of line, but is there any reason specifically you are using fbpanel + openbox? sounds like you secretly wanna be a fluxbox user tongue

Last edited by rson451 (2007-12-13 04:27:26)

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#5 2007-12-13 07:52:43

nesrecar

http://freeforge.net/~ssimon/files/grap … penbox.png yikes)

Last edited by mephisto (2007-12-13 07:53:11)

Public Key 0x24685E35 available from any key server you trust.

IRC: ssimon/Nesrecar

#6 2007-12-13 10:34:11

xnooby2

rson451 wrote:

i know this is kinda out of line, but is there any reason specifically you are using fbpanel + openbox? sounds like you secretly wanna be a fluxbox user tongue

My machine does have OpenBox and FluxBox loaded on it.  I figured I had to pick one and try and make it work, and openbox would be the leaner of the two because it didn't have a built in panel. Fbpanel also seemed to have more features than the FluxBox panel, if I decided to use a panel (which I did).  Maybe I should try both.

Board footer