You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-12 04:51:01

SoQu

What interface?

hi all , i have succesfully installed arch with xfce4 on my laptop. its a bit slow, what other interfaces can i use? who needs less ram than xfce? any site so i can see a screenshot too?

#2 2007-12-12 05:22:51

z0phi3l

Re: What interface?

Check this thread, you'll see screenshots of the various DEs you can use, some links to some and some cool info

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=40487

#3 2007-12-12 05:31:53

jacko

how much memory do u have?

I think what your looking for is a window manger.

http://xwinman.org/

Check that link out, u will need some spare time. lots of great info

Last edited by jacko (2007-12-12 05:37:06)

#4 2007-12-12 06:21:16

SoQu

There are more options that i was thinking smile thx

#5 2007-12-12 06:38:12

fluxme

I use Fluxbox. Fast, lightweight and doesn't look too shabby either.

http://box-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/59573-1.jpg
http://box-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/59667-1.png
http://box-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/68306-1.png

You'll find some other themes at box-look.org too.

#6 2007-12-12 06:49:43

SoQu

loved this smile going to test Fluxbox smile

#7 2007-12-12 06:56:58

fluxme

yeah, that one is sweet. Use it myself ^^

#8 2007-12-12 17:41:56

elliott

Xfce has been known to run slow if your /etc/hosts file isn't setup properly.

Last edited by elliott (2007-12-12 17:42:35)

#9 2007-12-13 01:46:28

SoQu

elliott wrote:

Xfce has been known to run slow if your /etc/hosts file isn't setup properly.

What should i check to see if it is setuped properly?

i installed fluxbox and tried to run in but :
Error: Couldnt connect to XServer

#10 2007-12-13 02:53:11

elliott

Well, post it here, if you didn't do anything to it, it is most likely wrong.

#11 2007-12-13 03:05:01

SoQu

elliott wrote:

Well, post it here, if you didn't do anything to it, it is most likely wrong.

well not sure how to post it from the terminal so i can write it:

#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address>    <hostname.domain.org>  <hostname>
127.0.0.1              localhost.localdomain         localhost
192.168.1.1          myhost.localdomain           myhost
# End of file

-----------------
thats all.. i think that the hostname is wrong :S

in terminal is says:
[user@myhost ~] $ that means myhost is the hostname?

#12 2007-12-13 05:35:57

elliott

That looks very wrong, unless your router is 192.168.1.0. I'd remove the second line entirely and put your hostname at the end of the first one, this works for me:

#
#

#<ip-address>   <hostname.domain.org>   <hostname>
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   localhost   desk-arch

# End of file

desk-arch is the hostname of this system.

#13 2007-12-13 09:26:32

SoQu

elliott wrote:

That looks very wrong, unless your router is 192.168.1.0. I'd remove the second line entirely and put your hostname at the end of the first one, this works for me:

#
#

#<ip-address>   <hostname.domain.org>   <hostname>
127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   localhost   desk-arch

# End of file

desk-arch is the hostname of this system.

my router is 192.168.1.1 .
any ideas about fluxbox?

#14 2007-12-13 09:40:06

RhahkJin

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fluxbox:

Starting Fluxbox
Method 1: kdm/gdm

This will automaticly be added to the session types. Select fluxbox from the menu.

Note: you will have to have login manager enabled at first. For instructions how to do that, look here.
Method 2: xinitrc

In your home folder add the code below to your .xinitrc file

exec fluxbox

or if you like to use the 'startfluxbox' file use :

exec startfluxbox

It is beter to use 'startfluxbox', because only then file ~/.fluxbox/startup file is used. Remember: there can only be one exec line in your .xinitrc file

Note : if it crashes on startup, it may be a locale problem.. Setting LC_ALL to the default "C" locale, may avoid this crash. 1 Then you can start fluxbox with startx command.

#15 2007-12-13 15:32:04

SoQu

RhahkJin wrote:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fluxbox:

Starting Fluxbox
Method 1: kdm/gdm

This will automaticly be added to the session types. Select fluxbox from the menu.

Note: you will have to have login manager enabled at first. For instructions how to do that, look here.
Method 2: xinitrc

In your home folder add the code below to your .xinitrc file

exec fluxbox

or if you like to use the 'startfluxbox' file use :

exec startfluxbox

It is beter to use 'startfluxbox', because only then file ~/.fluxbox/startup file is used. Remember: there can only be one exec line in your .xinitrc file

Note : if it crashes on startup, it may be a locale problem.. Setting LC_ALL to the default "C" locale, may avoid this crash. 1 Then you can start fluxbox with startx command.

the only way i make it run is first run startx and then fluxbox sad
should i first remove xfce4?

#16 2007-12-13 15:47:01

fwojciec

You don't need to remove xfce4 to run fluxbox, however you have to realize that fluxbox/openbox, basically all the minimal WMs require a much more manual set up at first, and they don't just come ready to work out of the box the way full blown desktop environments do.  If startx is not starting fluxbox for you it simply means that your ~/.xinitrc is not setup properly, there is no mystery to it. 

I suggest you read a bit about fluxbox and spend some time configuring it.  Even if you manage to log into fluxbox you will need to set it up before it is fully usable, and it's going to require learning things and will take a substantial amount of work at first (compared to xfce for, example).  As far as reading up is concerned fluxbox wiki article is a good place to start: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fluxbox.

If you're unwilling to spend the time required to set things up properly in the beginning I suggest you stick to xfce or whichever desktop environment you prefer.  If you have a fairly modern computer (configured correctly) and enough memory (512MB is enough) speed shouldn't be a real issue.

#17 2007-12-13 17:38:39

SoQu

fwojciec wrote:

You don't need to remove xfce4 to run fluxbox, however you have to realize that fluxbox/openbox, basically all the minimal WMs require a much more manual set up at first, and they don't just come ready to work out of the box the way full blown desktop environments do.  If startx is not starting fluxbox for you it simply means that your ~/.xinitrc is not setup properly, there is no mystery to it. 

I suggest you read a bit about fluxbox and spend some time configuring it.  Even if you manage to log into fluxbox you will need to set it up before it is fully usable, and it's going to require learning things and will take a substantial amount of work at first (compared to xfce for, example).  As far as reading up is concerned fluxbox wiki article is a good place to start: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fluxbox.

If you're unwilling to spend the time required to set things up properly in the beginning I suggest you stick to xfce or whichever desktop environment you prefer.  If you have a fairly modern computer (configured correctly) and enough memory (512MB is enough) speed shouldn't be a real issue.

my ~/.xinitrc was looking like :

#!/bin/sh

#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx
#
# exec startxfce4
# exec icewm
# exec blackbox
# exec fluxbox
and i change the #exec fluxbox to exec startfluxbox as the guide says but i get the same error :( could connect to XServer..

#18 2007-12-13 20:54:06

elliott

SoQu wrote:

my router is 192.168.1.1 .

Then your /etc/hosts is very wrong, and most likely causing your speed problem. You are, in effect, trying to tell your computer that it is your router.

#19 2007-12-13 20:59:07

fwojciec

I don't use fluxbox so I've no personal experience with it, I remember trying it in the past and it worked fine.  You can try a couple of things.  First, have you investigated the C locale idea that the post above and the wiki mention?  Second, try installing a login manager like GDM or slim (again, the wiki has articles about it) and see if you can get fluxbox to start that way.

#20 2007-12-13 22:38:09

SoQu

fwojciec wrote:

I don't use fluxbox so I've no personal experience with it, I remember trying it in the past and it worked fine.  You can try a couple of things.  First, have you investigated the C locale idea that the post above and the wiki mention?  Second, try installing a login manager like GDM or slim (again, the wiki has articles about it) and see if you can get fluxbox to start that way.

i installed slim (login manager) but the same problem was up. ehmm investigate the C locale idea? can u be more detailed please?

#21 2007-12-14 04:50:01

fwojciec

Like I've said, I don't really use fluxbox so I've no personal experience with this problem.  Perhaps someone else will be able to give you more info about this.  Also, check out this thread, maybe it'll be helpful http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=25797.  That's the thread that wiki refers to as a solution to the problem.  If this doesn't work you can also try reporting a bug in the bugtracker - perhaps one of the devs might be able to shed some light on this issue. 

Sorry I can't be more helpful...  I feel a bit guilty because my initial post in this thread was kind of dismissive and it looks like there is some genuine problems here, it seems.  I hope you get it resolved somehow. 

Alternatively you can also try openbox instead of fluxbox.  They're quite similar and equally configurable.

EDIT: As an experiment you can also try GDM instead of Slim; slim essentially uses .xinitrc to start the session, while GDM will use a fluxbox.desktop file, perhaps it'll make a difference.  It might be worth a try...

Last edited by fwojciec (2007-12-14 04:52:33)

#22 2007-12-14 17:46:20

SoQu

fwojciec wrote:

Like I've said, I don't really use fluxbox so I've no personal experience with this problem.  Perhaps someone else will be able to give you more info about this.  Also, check out this thread, maybe it'll be helpful http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=25797.  That's the thread that wiki refers to as a solution to the problem.  If this doesn't work you can also try reporting a bug in the bugtracker - perhaps one of the devs might be able to shed some light on this issue. 

Sorry I can't be more helpful...  I feel a bit guilty because my initial post in this thread was kind of dismissive and it looks like there is some genuine problems here, it seems.  I hope you get it resolved somehow. 

Alternatively you can also try openbox instead of fluxbox.  They're quite similar and equally configurable.

EDIT: As an experiment you can also try GDM instead of Slim; slim essentially uses .xinitrc to start the session, while GDM will use a fluxbox.desktop file, perhaps it'll make a difference.  It might be worth a try...

i dont think this is a problem of fluxbox cause either fluxbox or xfce runs sad so the problem is something else.

#23 2007-12-14 17:55:30

byte

In all your posts so far I haven't seen one link to a pastebin containing any errors or /var/log/Xorg.0.log.

#24 2007-12-14 20:27:41

elliott

Haven't seen your hardware specs either, I know for a fact XFCE runs nice on a 700mhz laptop with 384mb of RAM, if your hardware is better than this you shouldn't have an issue.

#25 2007-12-14 22:58:28

SoQu

elliott wrote:

Haven't seen your hardware specs either, I know for a fact XFCE runs nice on a 700mhz laptop with 384mb of RAM, if your hardware is better than this you shouldn't have an issue.

i have a compaq presario 1700 with 600Mhz and 256ram. xfce was running just fine before i tried to put the correct drivers for my graphic cart. after i installed ati drivers i get these errors i have written above and still cant log in anywhere nor xfce or fluxbox sad can find any solution so far

Board footer