You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-13 17:18:24

tjololo

rtorrent 0.7.9 & libtorrent 0.11.9

I'm wondering where to get rtorrent v. 0.7.9 and libtorrent v. 0.11.9. These versions are the newes stable versions of rtorrent and libtorrent.
I have allready tried: pacman -Syu, pacman -Sy rtorrent and pacman -Sy libtorrent, but the newest version is rt 0.7.7 and libt 0.11.7:(:mad:

--
Tjololo

#2 2007-12-13 17:24:41

shining
Pacman Developer

Re: rtorrent 0.7.9 & libtorrent 0.11.9

The following page should provide you the informations you need to upgrade these packages yourself :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS … _a_package

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#3 2007-12-13 18:07:02

tjololo

I probrably should go to the newbie corner, but..
I can't quite figure out how to use the ABS.
I ran the abs command and got the abs tree. what do I do from there? It would been nice whit a step by step thingi;) Anyone care to help me?

#4 2007-12-13 18:21:39

lucke

Make sure you have community repo enabled in /etc/abs.conf, run "abs" again if you don't, cd /var/abs/community/network/libtorrent, edit PKGBUILD with nano or vim, change pkgver to 0.11.9, comment out (precede with #) or remove the md5sum line, save the file and run makepkg, then install the package with pacman. Do the same for rtorrent.

#5 2007-12-13 20:27:47

barebones

It's not really a step by step, I guess, but I can give you an overview of how the whole abs thing works. Basically, every package you install in your system is created by a script called a PKGBUILD. This scripts contains information about where all the source tarballs, patches, etc that a package needs to build are located on the internet, as well as the process required to build the package. Running the command "makepkg" in a directory with a PKGBUILD will download all of the source files, and build the package and then tarball it all up in a package that is ready to install. When ABS (Arch Build System) is run, it will fetch all of the current PKGBUILDs for all of the packages in the repos that you have specified in /etc/abs.conf. If you want to modify a package, it's as simple as grabbing the PKGBUILD for your package, updating the relevant information inside the script, and then running makepkg in the directory for it.

Ok, so I lied. Here's kind of a step by step of how I would rebuild a package. It's probabily the easiest way to show how things work.

1: Run ABS. This will update all of the PKGBUILDs stored in cvs

2: Copy the PKGBUILD (and anything else in the rtorrent abs folder) for rtorrent to the directory you want to work in. I created the directory /var/abs/local, and then chmod'd it to belong to my user. I make subdirectorys in here for anything I'm building to keep things tidy.  So my case I'd now have

/var/abs/local/rtorrent/PKGBUILD
/var/abs/local/rtorrent/rtorrent.install
/var/abs/local/rtorrent/rtorrent.patch

In this case there's also a patch to be applied to the source (although I didn't actually see it being applied anywhere in the PKGBUILD, so it might be unnecessary) and a .install file that also are stored in the abs tree. The .install file is where you can define statements to be shown to the user when they install the package.

3: Edit the PKGBUILD.  This can be the hard part if the build process has changed for the new version of a package. I'm not on my arch computer right now so I can't try it my self, but updating this file might be as easy as changing

pkgver=0.7.7

to

pkgver=0.7.9

4:Run makepkg. If everything is ok in the PKGBUILD, makepkg will run through the build and spit out a finished package for you.

In the case of rtorrent, you may need to upgrade the PKGBUILD for libtorrent first if it's a dependency. I haven't looked at the PKGBUILD for it, but the process will be generally the same as described above. Hope that was helpful!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if you change the version number of a package like that, it also changes which source tarball is downloaded. This means that the md5sums listed at the bottom of the PKGBUILD are now out of date and makepkg will fail. You can either download the source yourself and update the md5 with the output of the  "md5sum" program or you can comment out the last two lines of the PKGBUILD. This last behavior can be dangerous if you're downloading from a (potentially) hostile mirror, but if you're downloading from a trusted source it *should* be ok.

Last edited by barebones (2007-12-13 20:38:04)

Board footer