You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-12 19:38:27

kazuya

SOLVED! Is pacman faulty or kdemod issues - glib-lib error w/pacman

Trying to install newest archlinux. I have an old dell pentium 4 with 256MB RAM and ati card.

(1)Nework does not work for me until I enter in,
    dhcpcd eth0 in terminal {cli}

(2) My biggest issue is that I added kdemod and installed using pacman command.. It got all the packages as well as many other things like xfce, mplayer, etc, but it complained about a corrupted kdemod file or package.

Now i do not have gdm, kdm, or xdm and I cannot install them either as it gets either a db error or a error with glib-lib   which seems kernel related..

Is there an easy way from start to finish to install arch and have the gui working.. pacman basically fails to do anything in regards to installing gnome, gdm, kdm, etc..

Any ideas?

pacman -Syu works fine.

Last edited by kazuya (2007-12-14 15:44:36)

Opensource; Become a part of it.

#2 2007-12-12 20:50:02

Doehni

Re: SOLVED! Is pacman faulty or kdemod issues - glib-lib error w/pacman

You can find your downloaded package files at /var/cache/pacman/pkg/. Just erase the corrupted file and try donwloading again!
If you want to erase all package files, run

pacman -Scc

Note:

pacman -Sc

erases only files from not currently installed packages.

A very good place to start is this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide

#3 2007-12-12 22:25:55

hacosta

kazuya wrote:

Trying to install newest archlinux. I have an old dell pentium 4 with 256MB RAM and ati card.

(1)Nework does not work for me until I enter in,
    dhcpcd eth0 in terminal {cli}

that's the expected behavior, check out your rc.conf network settings, it's well documented, or refer to the networkmanager wiki (or netcfg2 thread) if you want to startthe network by other means..

#4 2007-12-12 22:39:38

fed359

setting
eth0="dhcp"
In the networking section of /etc/rc.conf should grab an address from dhcp on boot

Last edited by fed359 (2007-12-12 22:40:10)

#5 2007-12-13 18:49:29

kazuya

thanks for the tip guys. The network thing has never worked for me completely in arch.. There is always a first time.

#6 2007-12-14 15:42:23

kazuya

The problem was that somethime, the kdemod web site seems to go down or is unreachable network-wise. It works fine now and I have kdemod-complete desktop installed. 

I am curious how to make kdm the default boot instead of CLI {shell} I am sure I'll figure it out from searching the guide.

I love the domino theme in kdemod- I am embarrased to say, kdemod for arch is the main attractant of arch to me coupled with the speed of the distro. I am comparing performance in relation to Vector linux currently.. I think archlinux is a little faster. if not about the same on my 256MB RAM

My issue here is solved except for the network thing which I should solve when I get home.

Board footer