You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-08 15:58:03

krazybastid

Question: What is the best platform to run exe files? Wine,Cedega,etc.

I've tryed Wine it takes alot of configuration that I'm not to familiar with. I would love to order a commercial version but my credit is shot for ordering software threw the internet. I wish there was a software store in my mall besides the usual stores. There's not enough support out there for Linux. Is there any good websites that describe the best way to run wine or cause I want to utilize my programs and not just my games.

#2 2007-12-08 16:51:19

Acid7711
Website

Re: Question: What is the best platform to run exe files? Wine,Cedega,etc.

I used to say Cedega as I had a LOT of luck running almost anything, but recently I can't even get the games that it supports to run properly.  Under Wine, it runs the best I think, except for graphically intense games and then I can see a direct advantage of Cedega in FPS.  However, IMO, Wine itself lacks managment, and that's where Crossover Office comes in for me.  I like the whole "bottles" implementation that they've developed into it.  It makes for a very clean install, uninstall, and management.   I've had the best luck running things well under CXOffice.

#3 2007-12-08 17:13:35

thayer
Fellow
Website

+1 for Crossover

Fireworks MX, Flash MX, Photoshop 7, and Quicken... to name just a few of the apps I use daily with CX.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#4 2007-12-18 17:50:37

krazybastid

Check out this link it is helpful http://youtube.com/watch?v=goyx6ml-gG0

#5 2007-12-18 20:24:26

Dheart

I've tried both CX office and Cedega, but I don't like that much GUI help...
I prefer the raw wine configuration via regedit and winecfg, also wine is getting better and the configuration method are not that hard.

BTW the apps mentioned by thayer also work flawless under wine wink

Also if I need application, for which I have no linux alternative, and there is no way to run it with wine (like blizzard torrent file downloader, that Blizzard use when they release something new free for download and didn't run well on 0.9.45 (fixed now, though) I use Vbox)

Last edited by Dheart (2007-12-18 20:33:19)

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

Board footer