You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-18 14:16:54

wuischke

Latex + phonetic symbols

Hi,

I've switched to Lyx for text creation needs some time ago (will learn latex when I have the time...) and I wanted to use phonetic symbols. I can enter the code without problems just as described in the manual, but it will fail on compilation with the error message "An empty output file was generated."

It seems that a module "tipa.sty" is missing (that's the next error message), does anyone know where I can get it and where I have to install it? I'm using lyx 1.4.3 and tetex 3.0 from the official repositories.

For now I've used the \int symbol, which is very similar to the phonetic symbol for the German [sch], but I would like to use the power latex offers me.

kind regards

#2 2007-12-18 14:25:39

fwojciec

Re: Latex + phonetic symbols

If you let me know what it is that doesn't work for you with the official latex package (post a sample tex document here for example) I can try it with texlive from community I have installed and let you know if it works ok.  From what I can see on my system tipa.sty is included with texlive.

filip@ground_control32 ~ $ locate tipa.sty
/opt/texlive/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tipa/tipa.sty

#3 2007-12-18 15:29:58

wuischke

OK, open a new document in lyx and select Insert->Special Character->Phonetic Symbols

Type e.g. a capital S there and try to compile it.

If it works you should get the left symbol in fricative-post-alveolar (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e … s_2005.png), if not it will probably fail on compilation.

#4 2007-12-18 16:38:48

fwojciec

If this is what you were looking (see attached pic) then it works on my system with texlive.
texcroppedaf2.th.png

#5 2007-12-18 18:17:17

wuischke

Yes, that's it. So I just have to replace tetex with texlive (there are plenty of packages) and it will work with lyx or do I have to change something else?
I have currently a lack of time (pre-holiday rush) and still have to finish some things I'm writing using lyx.

#6 2007-12-18 18:17:50

Mantaar

I'm a new archlinux user so maybe I'm missing some distro-dependent way of doing it, but the following is quite distro-agnostic.

If you're looking for any latex style-file (ending in .sty) that you can include in your preamble with \usepackage{packagename} (I have never used lyx before though, so maybe lyx hides the \usepackage directives) then you can always go to www.ctan.org to get that file. In this case this is what you're looking for.

Now put that file in /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/[packagename] (create the folder. It's cleaner that way) and don't forget to

sudo texhash

so latex finds the new files.

If you're a linguist, you can always consult LaTeX for Linguists. A really great site for anything that involves LaTeX and linguistics! It has helped me out at more than one occasion, but I don't know how you will get along with the tips there and LyX - as I've already said, I've never used it before sad

Or you can just ask here - If the title has anything related to linguistics I'm more than likely to read it smile

Last edited by Mantaar (2007-12-18 18:19:47)

Guy #1: I'd totally hit that.
Guy #2: Dude, I'd hit that so hard whoever could pull me out would become the King of England.
--College Walk, Columbia University (Overheard in NY)

#7 2007-12-18 19:08:08

fwojciec

wuischke wrote:

Yes, that's it. So I just have to replace tetex with texlive (there are plenty of packages) and it will work with lyx or do I have to change something else?
I have currently a lack of time (pre-holiday rush) and still have to finish some things I'm writing using lyx.

The package texlive-most is what you want to install, I guess...  Just watch out because it is pretty bulky...  After that, though I'm not sure if this is necessary, you might have to add "/opt/texlive/bin" to the path line in /etc/profile (+ log in an log out) or source /etc/profile.  You will also probably have to add yourself to "tex" group as well if you want to have write privileges to /opt/texlive/texmf-local/ directory as user...  And that's pretty much it, if I remember correctly.  There should be a wiki entry about texlive and also a thread somewhere on these forums if you need more info. 

I don't use lyx, in fact I had to install it in order to test this thing for you, but it worked fine immediately without tinkering so I think the transition shouldn't be too difficult if you decide to do it.

Or you can just go ahead and do what Mantaar says - it should work as well.

#8 2007-12-18 19:12:43

skottish
Forum Fellow

Mantaar wrote:

If you're looking for any latex style-file (ending in .sty) that you can include in your preamble with \usepackage{packagename} (I have never used lyx before though, so maybe lyx hides the \usepackage directives)

LyX will either add them automagically or the user can specify items in the preamble on a per document basis or globally.

Last edited by skottish (2007-12-18 19:13:09)

#9 2007-12-19 01:48:40

wuischke

Great, thanks for your help, particularly to Mantaar. Knowing how to do something manually is invaluable.
I'll do some further reading about texlive as well.

I haven't studied linguistics, but I teach German for instance in return for my Italian lessons. As my teacher studies German language and literature, it requires quite some work and knowledge from my side as well. Among others this involves some general linguistic knowledge, some overall knowledge of the language of the student and advanced knowledge of the German language.

#10 2007-12-19 16:35:56

Mantaar

Glad I could help!

By the way, I found out a nicer way to accomplish this: if you say

env|grep -i tex

you should get something like TEXMFHOME=/home/username/.texmf - that's your TeX home directory. Now you can

mkdir -p ~/.texmf/tex/latex

and move any packages you want to have access to to ~/.texmf/tex/latex/packagename. A simple texhash will do it then - no need to have root access. It will complain about not being able to write in the /usr-prefixed directories, but that shouldn't really matter.

HTH smile

Guy #1: I'd totally hit that.
Guy #2: Dude, I'd hit that so hard whoever could pull me out would become the King of England.
--College Walk, Columbia University (Overheard in NY)

Board footer