You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-15 07:24:08

tfp

Standby on HP Pavillion zv5400

Hi Arch-friends,

I got the laptop mentioned in the topic and I bought an Benq X-Touch 122 keyboard. It is all working fine, but the keyboard has one key with a half-moon underneath it. When I press this key, the screen of my laptop turns black und the power light starts blinking. I think this is standby. This key works without me having assigned anything to it !!! (For all other keys I use lineak)

The problem is whenever I'm in this standby and want to return backthe screen remains black. Does anybody have an idea how to get my laptop back running from this mode or how to assign another function to it (when I assign a function to this key with lineak, this function works but the laptop will go into standby anyway) ?

It is not very good having a key which can kill your laptop session even if touched by accident. Please help me

#2 2007-12-15 14:14:13

mrunion
Website

Re: Standby on HP Pavillion zv5400

Search the wiki and the forums.  There was just a question on this a day or two ago, but I don't remember which section of the forum.  the answer was to look at a certain Wiki and follow the guide there.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#3 2007-12-16 06:43:25

tfp

I'm sorry, but I've already done that and what these posts were saying didn't work for me. Configuring the files of any standby-program can't do it because i didn't install any. Adding the words "highres=off nohz=off" to menu.lst in grub doesn't seem to do anything and switching between the terminals doesn't give me anything to see. Even pressing strg+alt+f1 doesn't give me the console, the screen stays black !

Thank you very much for that tip, but I already searched anywhere before I posted. Does anybody have another idea ? Knowing how to give the button another function would be a good way, too because the only thing I don't want to have is the "button of death"

Last edited by tfp (2007-12-16 06:48:59)

#4 2007-12-16 15:39:05

mrunion
Website

I don't know if you're using Gnome or KDE or what.  I use Gnome and in Gnome System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts There are options for the Sleep/suspend keys.  There you can DISABLE those keys.  Maybe that will work?

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#5 2007-12-20 19:38:21

tfp

Yeah, I'm using Gnome, too.
Thank you, I didn't know that... But next to suspend(sry if that isn't the right word, but everybody knows what is meant... I'm not using the english version of gnome) it says already disabled. But the key still works... It has the same keycode as XF86suspend... But this key is nowhere in that list...

Thank you for that tip, but the key still works :'(

Last edited by tfp (2007-12-20 19:39:42)

Board footer