You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-20 21:15:09

kelnoky

ET throws me back to X and kills direct rendering

Ok, very weird problem.
I had a full system freeze today, the first I ever had with linux. Everything froze up, sound, mouse, everything. So I had to manually reboot. This damaged the filesystem and I had to manually fsck to repair it.
I am only telling you this because the problems started directly after this incident.
So after I repaired the filesystem everything was fine again. There seemed to be no data loss, everything worked. Then I started up Enemy Territory and connected to a server. After a few seconds I get thrown back to X, but with the brightness and mouse sens settings of ET. I cannot get back into ET after that (even with etminimizer). When I start et in a console to see what it outputs at the time I get thrown to my desktop it gives me this: http://pastebin.archlinux.org/21686 . That punkbuster stuff is the last line I get, the process isn't even ended when I get thrown back to X. A "killall et.x86" doesnt resolve the issue. So I kill X and restart it. After that, my direct rendering is disabled. A reboot enables direct rendering again.

So, any ideas? I am puzzled.

Last edited by kelnoky (2007-12-20 21:16:46)

#2 2007-12-21 02:14:46

sebleblanc

Re: ET throws me back to X and kills direct rendering

Are you able to get direct rendering back simply by "ctrl+alt+backspace" ? (killing the X server)

Also, it may be caused by buggy NVIDIA/ati drivers.

Keep me informed, I'll see what I can do.

#3 2007-12-21 08:47:51

kelnoky

Re: ET throws me back to X and kills direct rendering

Well, I exited fluxbox, that didn't help. I can check if ctrl+alt+backspace is any different.

I haven't changed the drivers recently because fglrx 8.44 and catalyst 7.11 mess up the brightness of ET. But that has been fixed in the most recent 7.12 release. As soon as that is in the repos I am gonna install it and see if that helps.

Board footer