You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-14 02:03:31

mxcl
Website

Is it usual for kdelibs to be compiled --enable-debug

I notice that the Arch packages for KDE, and thus kdelibs are compiled excluding --disable-debug.

This is quite a problem for me right now, I won't go into the details, but if kdelibs had debug disabled I'd be a lot better off. So I was wondering if it is usual for Arch to do its KDE packages this way? I was under the impression KDE only asks packagers to compile with debug information for beta/alpha releases.

Thanks,

Max

#2 2004-06-14 20:58:27

cmf

Re: Is it usual for kdelibs to be compiled --enable-debug

HI all,

The friendly KDE maintainer is here big_smile.

Anyway, the way 3.2.3 is compiled is based on the PKGBUILD's i inherited when i took ove rthe job, i'll bring it up on the ML and see what people think, it would possibly shrink teh pkg's a little more, but remember all pkg's are stripped of debug symbols by mkpkg anyway...

regarding the libGL.la fuck-up i made, i compile KDE with nvidia drivers installed, so it decided to link against them... i need to fix this, but i'm not wanting to force all KDE users to download all the new pkgs when it doesn't affect the majority who just use it and aren't compiling against it, but i do see your plight, i'm not belittleing it...

hmm

#3 2004-06-14 21:05:01

mxcl
Website

Cool, I'm glad they are stripped. One thing to bear in mind still is that there is a large amount of debug information output by kdelibs and this must be being channeled into some log. The slowdown is probably not noticeable generally, but sometimes it can be. For instance I read one thread on kdecore-devel where the samba io slave was being extremely slow, the reason it turned out was high quantities of debug output. Recompiling --disable-debug sped the slave up substantially.

The problem I am having is due to KCmdLineArgs having some assert() commands, which are removed if compiled without debug, but with debug cause the program to abort!

I think it is an error in the KCmdLineArg class for it to be using the assert so I will email the maintainer. But I figure you could use this information when making your decision.

Thanks, and thanks for the packages!

Max

#4 2004-06-14 21:12:21

dp
Website

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

Board footer