You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-17 07:07:26

dienadel

Laptop closed and temperature

Hello!!

I've recently bought a laptop and an external TFT. All works quite well, except a a pair of things. This isn't a post about those things. Is for asking advice.

When the external TFT is connected, i'd like to close the laptop. In the normal use, the laptop opened gets high temperature in the left corner. Not a seriously thing (An egg can't be made). Obviously, when the laptop will be closed, that temperature will be higher. This thing will be controlated by me. At least, in the initial tests.

What i'd like to know is if that higher temperature on one corner will badly affect to TFT of the laptop when closed. A quick answer, would be yes ;-) but, until what kind of point? Any advice?

thanks!

#2 2007-12-21 02:53:44

sebleblanc

Re: Laptop closed and temperature

Your laptop should be designed to handle that amount of heat, unless you are overclocking it or something, so worry not, fellow adventurer!

#3 2007-12-21 08:36:42

Mantaar

Hm. I'm rather sceptic. Depending on the overall quality of the laptop this may really harm it. Fact is: temperature is inevitable but bad. The higher, the more you're stressing your laptop's components. I'm not really talking about the TFT, but more about stuff like CPU, HDD, Graphics and the Chipset.
You're most definetly going to shorten your laptop's life when you let it heat up.

Why don't you just use Dual Screen? It rocks!

Guy #1: I'd totally hit that.
Guy #2: Dude, I'd hit that so hard whoever could pull me out would become the King of England.
--College Walk, Columbia University (Overheard in NY)

#4 2007-12-21 11:14:42

dienadel

Hi both!

As the TFT will only be only coneccted to the laptop during the next 2-3 months, i've decided that 'll keep doing as until now: the laptop opened. I made a few test, and the temperature didn't raise high temperature. But, i prefer beeing conservative for this case. Thanks!

#5 2007-12-21 12:00:47

Army

Do you frequently clean your laptop with a vacuum cleaner? This really helps!!!

#6 2007-12-21 18:37:16

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

I once thought that closing the lid would help save power, since the screen is turned off. In the end, what i ended up with was an electric frying pan switched on for a minute.

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#7 2007-12-23 16:21:34

lanrat

You could also buy one of notebook cooling pads to lower temperature. They are usually quite silent and effective.

Board footer