You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-25 05:01:48

coderonline

desktop installation question...

Hi All,

I am an inexperienced Linux user.I have an old P2 233mhz laptop & i was planning for a OS that runs good on low memory.My friend advised me to go for Arch Linux.I have installed it succesfully.

I have downloaded xpde-o.5.1.tar.gz & xfcee4-4.4.2-installer.run to have some kinda good desktop environment.I have burned these into a CD.I am finding difficulty installing it directly from a CD.

First I have mounted my CD using the mount command.So the CD is mounted.Now i want to install either xpde-o.5.1.tar.gz or xfcee4-4.4.2-installer.run from the CD directly.Can someone help me in the installation of any of these....???? I want to know the command for installation directly from the cd....

Also i read the wiki section of arch linux about the xfce desktop installation  but i did not succeed.So plzz help...

Thanks.

#2 2007-12-25 05:07:52

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: desktop installation question...

Doing this as root will pull down an entire XFCE desktop from the repos:

pacman -S xfce4

What went wrong when you tried before?

Last edited by skottish (2007-12-25 05:08:09)

#3 2007-12-25 21:24:55

synorgy
Website

Re: desktop installation question...

If you're running on low memory, one of the *boxes may be a good idea (paired with nitrogen & lxpanel). You can install all of these with:

pacman -S openbox nitrogen lxpanel

and then edit your ~/.Xinitrc to have:

nitrogen --restore &
exec openbox & lxpanel

Should work like a charm. Run nitrogen once to set a wallpaper, and it will reset everytime you issue 'startx' to log in.

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

Board footer