You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-14 23:33:36

skoal
Website

Question to Package Maintainers about X builds...

While browsing X.org docs recently, I ran across an old tip in the "Font de-uglification" section of their docs.  There is an option, when building "XFree86" or "X" freetype supplied sources:

in `include/freetype/config/ftoption.h', you can change:

#undef TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER

to

#define TT_CONFIG_OPTION_BYTECODE_INTERPRETER

to enable the bytecode interpreter for the freetype libs.  There's a patent issue why it's turned off by default.

I remember when I was building my Linux from scratch, I would go to that header file and make that change.

I'm just curious to know if you guys are making that change when building the freetype source supplied by "X[free86]" or when using the "freetype" lib source itself (and including "#HasLibFreetype" in `host.def' when doing so...)?

I'm trying to figure out why changing the "hinting" values from "none" to "full" has no effect for me (and for a few others who mentioned the same thing in another thread I read here somewhere).

thanks.

#2 2004-06-15 10:39:54

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Question to Package Maintainers about X builds...

Personally, I don't know.  However, you can find out for yourself by looking at the PKGBUILD for XFree86/X.  If there isn't a patch or sed line in there to make the tweaks you listed, then the answer is no.

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#3 2004-06-15 18:51:46

skoal
Website

Re: Question to Package Maintainers about X builds...

farphel wrote:

...you can find out for yourself by looking at the PKGBUILD for XFree86/X...

Thanks.  Being that I'm not too familiar with ABS and building stuff, since I'm just a lowly installer, I spent some time grep'ing my drive for the PKGBUILD file and untarring the xfree pkg.  Well, after some time, common sense took over and I checked the CVS repo's online.

It doesn't appear that they are enabling the bytecode patch in the xfree build, but they ARE in the freetype2 lib PKGBUILD. 

So, thanks for help.  Not only did I find out how these packages are built, but now I have a good set of PKGBUILD examples online for me to learn from while making my own.

Board footer