You are not logged in.

#1 2007-04-23 07:51:04

wooptoo
Website

Antialiased fonts in gnome-terminal after freetype update

About two weeks ago, after i did a pacman -Syu, my freetype was also updated.
I had local.conf set not to antialias fonts below 12px and anti-aliasing turned on in Gnome (so only fonts > 12px were antialiased).
After the freetype update, the fonts in gnome-terminal became antialiased too (although i use courier new @ 10px). I tried deleting gnome-terminal's folder from gconf with no luck. I also installed tilda (Quake-like terminal, that rolls down on the screen) and it has the same problem, antialiased fonts - regardless of the size i set them.
I have no problem with other apps (Gedit, Firefox, etc.).
Any ideas?

I read the topic http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=25864 (many users seem to have problem with the new freetype) but it didn't really help me sad (a way to fix this was by installing an older version of freetype, but i don't really know how to do it)

Last edited by wooptoo (2007-04-23 07:57:51)

#2 2007-04-23 21:21:12

wooptoo
Website

Re: Antialiased fonts in gnome-terminal after freetype update

I kinda found the source of the problem. Gnome-terminal and Tilda use vte:

The VTE widget is a new terminal widget meant to replace zvt. It is used by gnome-terminal as of GNOME 2.2.x.

#3 2007-12-07 10:59:02

mmmasterluke

Hi wooptoo,

have you solved the problem by now? I want to turn off aa fonts in gnome-terminal too but I can't find where. Editing local.conf doens't affect gnome-terminal (like you said). I read the discussion http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop- … 00751.html but I can't figure out how to change 'XftConfig'.

-mmmasterluke

#4 2007-12-27 23:28:11

wooptoo
Website

mmmasterluke: the update to vte 0.16.11-1 fixed my problem (my 10px gnome-terminal fonts were AA, even though i set /etc/fonts/local.conf not to AA fonts below 12px).
I don't know how you can disable AA only for gnome-terminal.

#5 2007-12-28 04:52:31

synorgy
Website

I know this isn't a  solution, but you could download Xfce's 'terminal' (pacman -S terminal-svn). It has very few dependencies (VTE, libxfce4 & exo if I remember correctly) It allows the user every advantage of gnome-terminal with the ability to turn on or off anti-aliasing for the terminal's fonts.

Hope this is helpful.

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#6 2007-12-28 23:35:03

redbeard0531

xfce's terminal also has the advantage of  being able to do shift+{up,down} to scroll by lines. Whenever I have to work on a RHEL box I end up with random escape codes in my terminal because those keys are hardcoded into my brain.

Board footer