You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-21 13:29:58

bud

A couple of errors, going crazy! nfs, fonts, xorg etc

Hi!

Im not really a newbie but i couldn't find a better spot for help with my new errors.
Yesterday I made this horrible choice to reinstall my arch and theese are the horrible results

1. I run openbox and i want gnome-settings-daemon to work, now i get this annoying error:

gnome-settings-daemon 

** (gnome-settings-daemon:6808): WARNING **: Module GnomeSettingsModuleScreensaver could not be started
xrdb:  "*Label.background" on line 220 overrides entry on line 150
xrdb:  "*Text.background" on line 226 overrides entry on line 191
xrdb:  "*Label.foreground" on line 232 overrides entry on line 151
xrdb:  "*Text.foreground" on line 238 overrides entry on line 192

Im going crazy..

2. Everytime i install something fontwise i get this error showing up:

Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

I guess its cause my /etc/fonts/fonts.conf is straight to hell. Can anyone post their working fonts.conf for me plz?

3. When i mount my nfs shares at boot i get this annoying message and booting takes 1 million years (4 shares mounting):

mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking
   Either use "-o nolocks" to keep locks local, or start statd.

4. Im using nvidia gf 4800 with tv-out (tv cable always connected), when i enter X i can never go back to console again, the tft refuses to wake up again, only way to get back is to reboot or get back into X again. Im using the same xorg.conf as with the previous install and i never had this problem. Afaik it has nothing to do with framebuffer since i both tried it on and off in the kernel line in menu.lst (grub)

5. Fonts, fonts fonts. Can anyone provide me with a guide that gives me antialiased fonts in xorg. Right now it looks horrible. Ive tried the gentoo xorg fonts guide but it did not make me any happier. I remember i read a guide made by a webdesigner somewhere. Everything was so perfect in my previous install, i hate myself smile

EDIT: aha i think i got the fonts part, i used cairo-cleartype last install...:D

Last edited by bud (2007-10-21 13:33:34)

Hello, I am normal!

#2 2007-10-21 13:51:12

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: A couple of errors, going crazy! nfs, fonts, xorg etc

bud wrote:

3. When i mount my nfs shares at boot i get this annoying message and booting takes 1 million years (4 shares mounting):

The last nfs-utils upgrade, along with the change to util-linux-ng, is responsible here. Please review the wiki NFS page for details.

#3 2007-10-21 14:31:10

bud

tomk wrote:
bud wrote:

The last nfs-utils upgrade, along with the change to util-linux-ng, is responsible here. Please review the wiki NFS page for details.

I did, the only thing I could find was that I missed adding netfs in daemons, hopefully this does the trick

Hello, I am normal!

#4 2007-12-30 15:02:37

MW

I have also now encountered this problem and made a few changes in /etc/rc.conf, will see on next reboot if everything is a-okay.

Did you solve this? Or some of the errors?

Board footer