You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-30 14:55:11

ypnos

Fontconfig and DPI settings

Hi,

since the latest updates, freetype starts to use subpixel antialiasing on my machine. I don't like subpixel antialiasing, it makes the characters color bleed.

Now I changed my fontconfig, ie I removed /etc/fonts/local.conf which was outdated and symlinked 10-no-sub-pixel.conf inside /etc/fonts/conf.d

It reads "<edit name="rgba" mode="assign"><const>none</const></edit>" which sounds good.
I also checked via grep that no other file in /etc/fonts/ contains a string like this which could overwrite it.

Still my fonts are subpixel antialiased sad -- with exception of Epiphany, which uses subpixel rendering in the gui but not on websites (it used it on websites, too, before).

What can I do?

Next question: Since the latest updates too, fonts are way to small. The DPI setting I have at present is 93x92 dots per inch, which seem to be accurate. Using a custom font size of 12 works for me with GTK; still thunderbird refuses to obey this and has way smaller fonts, the same goes for QT apps.

Should I really downgrade the DPI setting of X, and how?

Thanks for your help,

Ypnos

#2 2007-12-30 15:02:29

brebs

Re: Fontconfig and DPI settings

Turn it off in ~/.fonts.conf - this should work:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>

<match target="font">
        <edit name="rgba" mode="assign"><const>none</const></edit>
    </match>

</fontconfig>

#3 2007-12-30 15:13:01

ypnos

Didn't help... It should have immediate effect on new applications, like gtk-demo, right? I'm confused sad

#4 2007-12-30 16:13:38

brebs

Should be able to restart firefox, to see the difference quickly. But for a proper test, restart xorg.

Board footer