Last semester I was running Slackware with the OpenOffice binary package from openoffice.org. I typed up some papers in "times" font. All was cool. Now I am running Arch on the same hardware with the openoffice package via pacman. The same documents look like like crap - letters are running over each other and there is occational big gaps in the sentences. To verify the document, I opened the same docs on a fedora box with the yum installed openoffice and all looks good.
Anyone have any suggestions (other than changing fonts - lets face it - it's a problem with arch, or the openoffice package, or my setup, or a combination of these). I can change font if there is no way out but would rather see the problem thru.
have you setup your fonts right?
have a look at:
what font-config package you use? 2.2.90 or 2.2.1?
there was some trouble with it
for OO have a look at this there you should find all you need:
Thanks for your help. All fonts were installed via pacman so I guess that should suffice. Ran fc-config. Fontconfig is the latest as of yesterday. I tried a binary package from OpenOffice with no change. I made sure that the font paths were in the XF86config file and found one that wasn't, added it but still no joy. So it seems that it is a font/arch problem. I forgot to mention that most other fonts that I have tried appear ok.
Even better - I saved a document to a .doc format and opened it in abiword. Times font looks fine there. Still ugly in openoffice.
Something about openoffice and Arch that don't play together well.