You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-31 14:45:45

jacko

xfce4, desktop icons missing???

Not sure what is up with this, but lately I have had problems with xfce4 and desktop icons. Seems like every time I reboot the icons change position, no they do not rearrange, but move up or down as whole. When they move up, the topmost icon is hidden under the top menu bar. When they move back down, they are where there supposed to be. This seems to change every time I reboot or relog.

The second thing that makes me think something is broken is when I d/l a file from firefox, right now I have them being d/l'd to ~/Desktop, I can't see it after the d/l finishes. I am under the assumption that I should be able to see the file, am I right? But, that's not the case at all. In any event if I go to a terminal and type in cd Desktop then ls I can see the file I d/l'd under the ~/Desktop directory proving that the file is there, but still no Desktop icon.

What is up with the xfce desktop app? is it broken, is there something I have done? Is this a bug?

edit: could this be a problem with thunar-volman? Seems to me last time I had xfce4 installed everything worked fine without having thunar-volman installed and this time everything worked good till I installed thunar-volman, but I can't say whether that package explicitly broke my machine or not. Just seems to me it may be that way. I am confused and in need of some help with this issue as well.

Last edited by jacko (2007-12-31 14:50:48)

#2 2007-12-31 14:54:00

jacko

Re: xfce4, desktop icons missing???

Well, after posting my edit, I removed thunar-volman and now all of a sudden every file I had in ~/Desktop all of a sudden popped up on my desktop. So I guess that is the problem, now does anyone know of a fix?

#3 2008-01-01 01:00:12

Aaron
Website

Re: xfce4, desktop icons missing???

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfc … refresh.3F

Taken from the Wiki: "Don't forget to add 'fam' to the list of DAEMONS in /etc/rc.conf"

Board footer