You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-28 02:42:03

smcsw2000

mount showing nothing/ not installing

I am installing on an amd2 cpu when i go into partition hard drives i see the following
                                                                        sda1 boot,nc primary linux ext2 20974
                                                                        sda2             primary linux swap/solaris 2089
                                                                        sda3             primary linux reiserfs 140512
                                                                        sda4             primary linux reiserfs 345
                                                                        sdb1 boot      primary linux reiserfs 20003
                                                                        sdb2             primary linux 1998
                                                                        sdb3             primary linux reiserfs 138036
I have installed all packages. I have configured rc.conf and hosts as per instructions, fstab i am having trouble with this is what it is
none     dev/pts     devpts     defaults     0     0
none     dev/shm     tmpfs     defaults     0     0
/dev/cdrom     /mnt/cd   iso9660  ro,user,noauto,unhide  0     0
/dev/dvd         /mnt/dvd udf         ro,user,noauto,unhide  0     0
/dev/fd0          /mnt/fl     vfat       user,noauto                 0     0
I uselilo to install bootloader when I try to use sda i get Fatal: trying to map files from unnamed device 0x0001 (NFS/RAID mirror dowm ?)
when I try using sdb i get warning: dev/sdb is not on the first disk
Fatal: trying to map files from unnamed device 0x0001 (NFS/RAID mirror dowm ?)
when i try using sda1 I get Fatal: trying to map files from unnamed device 0x0001 (NFS/RAID mirror dowm ?)
trying sda2  is warning: partition 2 on dev/sda is not marked active partition type 0x82 on device 0x0802 is a dangerous place for a boot sector
all sdb's give the warning dev/sdb is not on the first disk
when i use f2 and type mount i get
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /dev type ramfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
sdb was the original linux harddrive till I did a pacman -Syu and everything went bad. sda was the drive i was using for wine and temp. But i tried too many things and started over. now I am stuck. Any Ideas?

#2 2008-01-02 07:50:28

Corey

Re: mount showing nothing/ not installing

You should install grub/lilo on the booting disk that you choose in BIOS. The best place should be the disk where you have linux installed and it's chosen as booting disk in BIOS. So in your case sda. Also you shouldn't put the bootloader on the partition boot record (sda1 etc) but in the master boot record of the disk (sda). If you dual-boot with other system then install bootloader on the disk that you have chosen in BIOS.
Also if you use grub (which I recommend) and screw up the settings you could use this bootable CD called "Super Grub Disk" which is made for restoring the grub of your Linux http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/?s … umentation

Ohhh and I've almost forgot: you should have the partition with linux set as "active" when partitioning the disk.

Last edited by Corey (2008-01-02 07:51:49)

Board footer