You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-10 18:04:49

ezacaria

can't resume video with pm-suspend

Hello,

I'm new to Arch, and I have instaled pm-utils. I am trying to get an Acer Aspire 5112WLMI to suspend to ram.

I simply issue pm-suspend, but the video does not resume properly. I tried some of the switches for pm-suspend, but without exit. I took a look at the hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video and the problem seems to be that there is no vbetool in arch64 (I must have missed the error message in the logs earlier).

Does anyone know what are the correct switches for the Ati Mobility Radeon X1600, and how to get the vbetool in 64bits? I tried the live kubuntu, and resuming works out of the box.

Thanks a lot!

Eduardo

Last edited by ezacaria (2007-12-10 18:47:30)

#2 2007-12-17 17:48:25

abstracity

Re: can't resume video with pm-suspend

You may have more success asking this on the pm-utils mailing list, as the developers are probably more active in the implementation of the suspend process than most users on this forum, and it is likely they will have a better chance of knowing what is going wrong--if you give them all the information they need.  I am not sure what process kubuntu uses for suspending, but it is a good thing that it works for you from there, because you know it is currently possible with your hardware.

I would suggest you get a hold of the kernel kubuntu uses, get a hold of the .config file and all the patches that are applied by default to it, and install it on the partition assigned to Arch.  Doing it this way, you can find out without a whole lot of commotion whether or not the stock arch kernel is responsible.  If you find out the kernel is to be held accountable, then you may file a bug report, which has the possibility of expediting the search for a solution.  If, on the other hand, suspend does not work with the default kernel used in kubuntu, please report back here the process you went through to arrive at that conclusion.  I hope you haven't given up and abandoned this task!

Without error there can be no brilliancy. ― Emanuel Lasker

#3 2007-12-17 18:26:08

ezacaria

Hello, Abstracity

And thanks for your answer smile

I tried the s2ram script (from the PKGBUILD for suspend currently in AUR, it has its own vbetool), and it works while in console mode. Therefore, it seems that the problem occurs when interacting with the fglrx module for the ATI card. I have still to look at the driver that kubuntu live is using for the video card, it may be that it is not fglrx.

I will still not give up on this, but will try again at some point. Maybe unloading/reloading the fglrx module will solve the issue.

Thanks and best regards

Eduardo

#4 2007-12-17 18:32:34

fwojciec

If suspend works in console mode then you should be able to write a simple script that will switch to console, then suspend, then switch back to X after resuming.

#!\bin\bash
FGCONSOLE=`fgconsole`
chvt 1
s2ram
sleep 1 && chvt $FGCONSOLE

I don't know if this exactly is going to work, but maybe it'll give you an idea of how to proceed...

Last edited by fwojciec (2007-12-17 18:33:27)

#5 2007-12-17 20:56:18

ezacaria

Hello, fwojciec

Thanks for the suggestion! I gave it a try, but unfortunately, it does not succeed, as the machine hangs when trying to come back to X. I tried manually first, without the script:

- From X, chvt 1. Once in the console, s2ram -f -v -p. This puts the laptop to sleep.
- Then I resumed, and I had normal control of the keyboard, and I could switch to other consoles
- I tried chvt 7 (the console outputted by fgconsole), but the machine hangs

I noticed that the fglrx module is already loaded before starting X. I don't understand why s2ram succeeds with fglrx loaded and with X down, but fails when X is up.

On the other hand, I checked that the kubuntu live disk is having X and a vesa driver. Therefore, there's no assurance that Ubuntu would solve the problem with the ATI video driver, either.

Well, maybe I can try with the vesa driver for X, or the radeonhd driver.

Thanks for your time!

Best regards

Eduardo

#6 2007-12-25 02:36:38

Micha

Hi ezacaria and the rest!

I just wanted to give you guys the info, that I am using the radeon driver and my Acer Aspire 1692 wlmi doesn't resume after suspend either. All I get is a black screen and although the disk seems to be more than busy, nothing happens. I can't switch to the console and all that seems to be left is to reset the machine, which I don't like at all.

So that's just to motivate you to keep on looking as I will do as well! :) I hope we'll get hold on a solution for this no matter whether here or in the developer corners...
Good luck!
Micha

#7 2007-12-25 02:39:44

Allan
Pacman
Website

when you try to bring the laptop back from suspend, can you "ctrl+alt+f1" then "ctrl+alt+f7" to get back to video?

#8 2007-12-25 08:59:53

Micha

No, I can't. I cannot switch into any console and STRG+ALT+Backspace doesn't work either to reset X. I just see the harddrive working without pause but no matter how long I wait, nothing happens after the black screen.

Using pm-suspend, the content seems to be saved into my ram, but when I switch on the laptop again, it is booting normally without loading the content out of the ram. It's as if I haven't done anything right. :)

I saw at http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Additiona … eon_driver that the fastwirte option in the device section of the xorg.conf (Option      "AGPFastWrite" "yes") causes some similar problem (black screen after reboot), but I haven't even put that line in.

#9 2008-01-01 15:23:28

deavik

Hey guys,

I know this doesn't help (sorry!) but I also am having problems with the new fglrx (8.44.3), ATi Xpress 200m and pm-utils on Arch64.

Both suspend and hibernate work to power everything down, but resume and thaw both cause a freeze starting X (it seems like). I have a black screen with 2 little white blocks to the right and left (?). With xf86-video-ati hibernate/thaw would work but suspend to ram crashed when suspending.

/var/log/pm-suspend.log doesn't have any errors. It's strange that the log reports that all the hooks are run, so the computer must be crashing after that point. I really don't know where to look to solve this issue! Please post if you have got this to work, thanks!

EDIT: Oh and there is vbetool on my Arch64 install in /usr/sbin I don't know if that helps or not...

Last edited by deavik (2008-01-01 15:27:02)

#10 2008-01-02 14:24:09

ezacaria

Hello again,

I tried with the vesa driver. and I can put the laptop to sleep under X with s2ram -f -v -p. This is what the Kubuntu live disk I had tried can also do.

I still tried to get it working with th fglrx driver:

- I attempted to unload the fglrx module when in vt1, rmmod -f fglrx. I get an error ("resource temporarily unvailable"), can't unload it sad

Is it possible to unload the module without stopping X? Stopping X before suspending is not an option to me, as I want to be able to keep the desktop while suspending.

On the other hand, if I can not get X+fglrx to suspend, I may consider using the vesa driver only. But I could not get a 1280x720 or 1280x768 screen. I can get a 1280x768 screen without problems in windows. Any ideas?

Thanks to all!

Best regards

Eduardo

Board footer