You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-02 18:44:49

luuuciano

[SOLVED] I can not select my usb printer in virtualbox

Hi!

I need to print from a virtual windows, using virtualbox...
I have the usb filter configured, but when the virtual windows is running I can not select the usb printer, it is grey (in Devices/USB Devices)
And I can not install the printer drivers because the printer is not detected...

Any idea?

Luciano

Last edited by luuuciano (2008-01-03 16:55:42)

I arch, you arch, he arch, she arch, we arch, they arch...

#2 2008-01-02 19:01:03

luuuciano

Re: [SOLVED] I can not select my usb printer in virtualbox

I have found this:

On Linux hosts, VirtualBox accesses USB devices on Linux through the usbfs file system. Therefore, the user executing VirtualBox needs read and write permission to the USB file system. Most distributions provide a group (e.g. usbusers) which the VirtualBox user needs to be added to. Also, VirtualBox can only proxy to virtual machines USB devices which are not claimed by a Linux host USB driver. Please refer to the driver= entry in /proc/bus/usb/devices to see which devices are claimed.

I have added the usbusers group and added myself to it...

But what about the printer claimed thing?

what can I do to make my usb printer not claimed by my archlinux?

#3 2008-01-02 20:52:45

azleifel

This wiki article may help:  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Vir … st_machine (you should use the gid for your usbusers group in the fstab line).

I must admit that, though my usb printer is available in VirtualBox and is detected correctly by Windows XP when it's running in the VM, I've never tried to install the driver.  I have Windows installed to run Cuttermaran, which needs .NET, and as a backup for using my scanner, an Epson Perfection 3170 Photo which is best described as a GNU/Linux hostile device.

In the meantime, did you do the upgrade to VirtualBox 1.5.4 yet?  It fixes some usb-related issues.

#4 2008-01-02 22:46:03

luuuciano

wow, thanks a lot azleifel!
It is working now!

driver finally installed, lets print something smile

Board footer