You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-15 08:50:29

hecker

gnome 2.6 hangs up

hi,

i've got some problems concerning "starting gnome 2.6". when i enter startx, a gnome-session will be executed. after a few seconds the gnome 2.6 foot appears on my display, afterwards gnome exit with a few pango errors,
which aren't logged, so the only thing i can do is to write off these messages directly from my console sad maybee someone get's an idea and can help me out wink

*** ERROR ***: file shape.c line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)
aborting...

(gnome_segv:1290): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: 
Can not open pixbuf loader module file '/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders': Too many open files
Pango:/etc/pango/pangorc: Error opening config file: Too many open files
Pango:/home/itsme/.pangorc: Error opening config file: Too many open files

** (gnome_segv:1290): WARNING **: 
No builtin or dynamically loaded modules were found. Pango will not work correctly. 
This probably means there was an error in the creation of:
'/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You may be able to recreate this file by running pango-querymodules.
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig library is not correctly configured. 
You may need to edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual page and on http://fontconfig.org

waiting for X server to shut down

ok, i've used pango-querymodules. i also did a pacman -Syu, but the error is still there. XFree86.0.log shows no errors and i'm using a XF86Config-4 generated by hwd. btw Xfce works fine.

#2 2004-06-15 08:57:53

hecker

Re: gnome 2.6 hangs up

umm... yeah! i've solved this problem *jumparound*

pango-querymodules just prints these modules into the console, but we need a pango.modules file in /etc/pango/, so i did a pango-querymodules > pango.modules and gnome 2.6 starts.

wow! so simple... sorry for this post.

#3 2004-06-16 02:38:45

skoal
Website

hecker wrote:

wow! so simple... sorry for this post.

haha...no apologies necessary.  These types of posts are beneficial in more ways than one, and I'm not just saying that since I've done the same thing.

1. Some poor schmuck like myself may have this problem in the future, and stumble across your sol'n from the bbs search engine.

AND, more importantly...

** 2. Google hits, external to these forums, from other distro./linux users will drive their AL curiosity when they read this post for a similiar problem.  And, I can't think of a better form of advertising -> (implies) more AL users -> larger AL base -> more work for developers and package maintainers to meet growing demands from more users -> more disdain towards me from developers and package maintainers for encouraging this type of behaviour -> more personal guilt for not getting off my ass and volunteering my help to the AL team -> confusion why I even made this post -> I'm lazy and currently knocking off a few beer bottles of Shiner Bock.

[as I grip the cold, sweating beer bottle and rub it across my face in adoration and desire, in the voice of Homer Simpson] mMmM...beeeEEr...

#4 2004-06-16 03:16:04

leejpar
Website

I think my Shiner Bock consumption has gone up since I started using AL! Shiner Bock is one of the best beers around and should go good with a plate of "pango". I have eaten a lot of pango and will probably have to eat a lot more before it's all over!

Linux Registered User #337161
'It's free. It works. Duh.'" - Eric Harrison

#5 2004-06-16 04:48:22

skoal
Website

leejpar wrote:

I think my Shiner Bock consumption has gone up since I started using AL! Shiner Bock is one of the best beers around and should go good with a plate of "pango". I have eaten a lot of pango and will probably have to eat a lot more before it's all over!

lmao.  As a fellow Texan, I must tell you that I made the holy pilgramage to Shiner, Texas, a few times over the years.  It's an absolute must.  The beer samples at the end of the tour are...priceless.

#6 2004-06-16 15:48:54

xerxes2
Website

skoal wrote:

** 2. Google hits, external to these forums, from other distro./linux users will drive their AL curiosity when they read this post for a similiar problem. And, I can't think of a better form of advertising -> (implies) more AL users -> larger AL base -> more work for developers and package maintainers to meet growing demands from more users -> more disdain towards me from developers and package maintainers for encouraging this type of behaviour -> more personal guilt for not getting off my ass and volunteering my help to the AL team -> confusion why I even made this post -> I'm lazy and currently knocking off a few beer bottles of Shiner Bock.

ROFL  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile  big_smile

arch + gentoo + initng + python = enlisy

Board footer