You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-02 03:11:18

esauve

Can't play DVDs with Totem

I cannot get Totem (Movie Player under GNOME) to play unencrypted or encrypted DVDs. Although it works fairly well with mplayer, I'd rather use Totem. Whenever I insert a DVD, Totem starts automagically (as it should) but spits out an error saying that a plugin is missing. I've installed every required gstreamer plugins along with libdvdcss (for encrypted DVDs). I know I could use VLC or GMplayer or Totem-xine but frankly I'm baffled that this won't work under Arch but works fine under Ubuntu (I dual boot between these two distros). Thanks in advance.

#2 2008-01-02 08:17:40

Actium

Re: Can't play DVDs with Totem

I don't have any experience with totem (and I'm not planning on getting some --- switched to arch, because i wanted to get rid of all that kinda bloated and simultaneously inferior software). however i'd guess, that it might need libdvdread.

#3 2008-01-02 09:39:24

azleifel

I think it has to be said that playing DVDs is not one of totem-gstreamer's strengths at the moment.  The Movie -> Play Disc 'Whatever' menu option just gets me the error about not having the appropriate plugins, even though I have the whole collection installed.  The command line "totem dvd://" will play a DVD but without either DVD menus or the ability to successfully change the audio track (so no viewing Night Watch without learning Russian first, for example!).

Swapping out totem for totem-xine ought to get working DVD playback with menus; however, if you're going to install xine-lib then you might as well go the whole hog and install xine-ui or kaffeine, both of which are much better movie players IMHO.

#4 2008-01-03 09:15:24

jolinfire

You can also use VLC which is great and works flawlessly with DVDs.

Board footer