You are not logged in.

#1 2004-06-13 12:59:37

dp
Website

6760 fonts

http://thelinuxbox.org/Downloads.html
-> Miscellaneous

they offer 6760 fonts in one tarball! (157.7MB) --- has anyone had experience if apps will slow down, if this much fonts are installed in linux? win98 will die, that i know

i would like to have more fonts, but i'm afraid that this will slow down a lot

comments?

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2004-06-13 13:26:21

kakabaratruskia

Re: 6760 fonts

I can't understand why people always complain about fonts in Linux. I've always liked more Linux fonts than wins. In fact I was impressed, when first used linux, on how good fonts looked. I have cleartype(?) enabled in win,  and all the things you need, and I still hate how fonts look.

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#3 2004-06-13 13:51:44

dp
Website

kakabaratruskia wrote:

I can't understand why people always complain about fonts in Linux. I've always liked more Linux fonts than wins. In fact I was impressed, when first used linux, on how good fonts looked. I have cleartype(?) enabled in win,  and all the things you need, and I still hate how fonts look.

i cannot agree more - you are right!

... only one detail: in linux, you sometimes need to edit some configs to have things set up - so for example the resolution of your monitor (dpi) in /etc/fonts/local.conf :-)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2004-06-14 05:57:56

tyler

i don't know, 150M of fonts. just download and pick out the ones you like, i fear that fontconfig will have a hard time if you drop all of them in your fonts directory.

about linux fonts. well, my red hat 9 box has the BEST font anti-aliasing and hinting i have ever seen, better than cleartype (windows), anything. the choice of fonts is all up to you, i mean you can zip the whole windows/font directory and install them in linux. everything is possible. the rendering engine however, is a different story. i have hacked into the source of freetype, recompiled over and over and i could never equate rh9. the closest i got was taking the binary libfreetype.so from rh9 and putting it on my arch box, well it was close, but not. and anyway, X wouldn't boot with the alien libfreetype. i personally think that the red hat team sold their souls to satan, just my opinion.

Till human voices wake us, and we drown. -Eliot

#5 2004-06-14 07:08:58

monolin

kakabaratruskia wrote:

I can fully understand why so many linuxers are "obssessed" with fonts for their desktop.
In my case and for most of Chinese linux users, the first and firtmost thing for us is to beautify linux by installing new fonts and tinker with /etc/fonts.conf. You know why? Fonts under Chinese environment are so fuzzy and hazy and are killing your eyes!
What worse is that some good linux fonts do not comply with Chinese locales (if I use zh_CN locale, the 'fixed' fonts in konsole becomes very wide and I have to install a supplement for it.)

I guess there will be long time before Asian Linuxer no longer have to suffer from eye-killing font display in linux.

When false is taken for true, true becomes false;
If non-being turns into being, being becomes non-being.

Pages full of fantastic talk
Penned with bitter tears;
All men call the author mad,
None his message hears.

#6 2004-06-14 11:35:34

contrasutra

I have about 4000 fonts installed and there is some slowdown on certain areas. Loading up a font selection dialog takes about 4x as long (20-30 sec the first time). Also, it's a pain finding that one font you use for most things. Most font selection dialog fonts make it really hard to navigate large amounts of fonts.

It takes longer to rebuild the font cache too, but that's very infrequent for me.

"Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern technology.  Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."

#7 2004-06-14 15:29:42

monolin

what fonts do you guys use for konsole? I am never satisfied with konsole fonts. Fixed is most pleasant to the eyes but it is imcompatible with Chinese locale.
Does konsole support truetype fonts? if so , how to make konsole recognize them and display correctly?

None his message hears.

#8 2004-06-14 20:45:42

kakabaratruskia

monolin wrote:
kakabaratruskia wrote:

I can fully understand why so many linuxers are "obssessed" with fonts for their desktop.
In my case and for most of Chinese linux users, the first and firtmost thing for us is to beautify linux by installing new fonts and tinker with /etc/fonts.conf. You know why? Fonts under Chinese environment are so fuzzy and hazy and are killing your eyes!
What worse is that some good linux fonts do not comply with Chinese locales (if I use zh_CN locale, the 'fixed' fonts in konsole becomes very wide and I have to install a supplement for it.)

I guess there will be long time before Asian Linuxer no longer have to suffer from eye-killing font display in linux.

I've always wondered how a Chinese keyboard is, as I've never seen one. I mean, it must be huge, cause I've heard you've got like millions and millions of different symbols.

of the Boy Scout Manual.

#9 2004-06-16 05:14:27

monolin

I've always wondered how a Chinese keyboard is, as I've never seen one. I mean, it must be huge, cause I've heard you've got like millions and millions of different symbols.

Very good question but the answer is simple:

We just use US keyboard.  To input Chinese you need to install an input server (scim is one example). And that server manages the conversion of English letters into Chinese words.

Before the invention of computers, the typewriter for inputing is really a colossal, awkward machine. But that era has long gone.

When you take the first look at Chinese characters, you have the impression that it has millions of symbols, but actually all Chinese characters are build up by a repository of eight strokes (yes, eight, not 26 letters in English).  So all you need to do is to map the eight strokes and the combination of those strokes (I am not sure how many the combinations are. Around seveal scores maybe) onto US keyboard. There is one input method called Wubi which requires maximum five key strokes to input a chinese character.

And quite contratry to your assumption, three thousand  Chinese characters are sufficient for daily comminication and a large variety of reading. You have to have a vocabulary over ten thousand to be able to literate in English. I personally believe that Chinese is efficient.

Hope you are not tired of my nagging wink

A very interesting picture related to "cultural revolution" some 30 years ago.
http://www.crummy.com/graphics/chinese- … poster.jpg

None his message hears.

#10 2004-06-17 01:06:52

KalephOne

Very interesting! big_smile
But... You don't have permission to access /graphics/chinese-python-poster.jpg on this server.  sad

Kaleph
jabber: kaleph@jabber.org

#11 2004-06-17 02:14:00

punkrockguy318
Website

I installed the fonts.. My box was SLOOOW as molassases...  Nice package, but ruins my xfce4 preformance...

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#12 2004-06-17 03:27:09

kakabaratruskia

Heh, amazing. Thanks for the answer monolin.

of the Boy Scout Manual.

Board footer